Full Engrave Settings Template for GlowForge - Engrave this template to get a good idea for how your settings will look

Thanks for the comment. I will see if I can find something newer…

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing these settings! I used them on a piece of 2x4 as my first project in the forge and I used your template for the mgraving and it’s didnt even scorch! Thank you!

The only problem I found with this approach is that if you go higher resolution the results will also be different. Especially at max resolution it’s almost as multi pass and the engrave will be much deeper as on the Template at default resolution.

Resolution (for me :slight_smile: ) = LPI (Line per inch)

1 Like

Hi Kirruu.berry,
Thank you for posting this. A nice time saver.

I was actually getting on, because my print did not line the bumbles up. They bounce up and down a lot from line to line. Then I got back here and saw that your did too. You can see 300/10 is much higher than the ones next to it. Mine seems to have rendered the same way. Any idea why this would be. I checked the Illustrator file you posted and it is lined up properly.

Thanks for your design and thoughts,
Mark

That’s interesting…did your 400/30 and 500/30 bounce down and up like that, too?

I’m thinking this is happening due to a bug that turned up in one of my prints a while back. They are trying to track it down, but apparently it’s not squashed yet.

Hi Geek2nurse,

Yes - 400/30 down and 500/30 up. It looks just like the one posted at the top. I agree it must be software if it was alignment or some other thing I would think it would just be random from machine to machine. If it is a hardware problem (let’s hope not), it could still probably corrected in software. My unit is new, so I have not done much testing, but I really have not seen it in any other print I have done.

6 Likes

I am definitely doing this, I was going to write stuff down but this is so much better, ill hang it right above my desk
I would’ve lost the paper, this I will never lose
Thanks for sharing
Bernie

Thank you for sharing this!

I’m going to move this over the Beyond the Manual, since it includes material settings.

1 Like

So would we open this in illustrator and save it as a .svg? That is what I did, and when I uploaded that to Glowforge, it is basically unresponsive for me, every click takes 10+ seconds, and then they are completely out of order.

I can’t figure out a way to even see which is which without first adding settings to each one, but as I said the lag makes setting each one take about 1-2 minutes. Am I doing something wrong?

Did you do this one at a time?

2 Likes

Great idea and thank you for doing the work to make it - Awesome!

When you upload it to the GFUI each different colour will show up as a different operation so you set the speed/power for each one - but then you can run the entire job all at once. That initial set-up will take time!
You should put the higher power/lower speed ones later so that if it starts to burn you can just stop it there knowing everything else will burn more.

Im new on GF and just dont get it. Is there directions somewhere on exactly what i need to do? I downloaded the template, it opened in my AI, i wrote 1/8 birch on it and uplaoded it into GF app and all the colors look exaclty the same. What do I do now? Ive wasted so much wood in a week

Can you take a screenshot of what you are looking at?

You need to go thru each element and assign manual settings that match the power and speed. It’s a tedious job.

I would recommend not using this template. It’s overkill for the majority of users.

Stick with Proofgrade settings, and for non-PG materials, use those as starting points to determine what works for your material.

thank you @elfguy I figured it out this morning. I just got it all entered manully and doing my first one on 1/8 birch. Now next im making one for maple, will I have to go in and adjust the focal height on every single one of those? or when I change the height of the material it will automatically adjust to that height?

1 Like

No. Just use the set focus tool. All material has nominal dimensions to it which means there is a range of thickness. Even the proofgrade will take a pic of the material to get accurate thickness with the head camera.

Want to take a ride into one aspect of nominal dimensions?

You can over ride to set manual the focus for the laser in some cases when you want a defocused beam.

Remember there is focusing for the lid camera image to get the bed picture correct for design placement. Using the set focus behind the gear icon gets you a great image for placing the design accurate.

Then there is the operation of focusing the lens in the head, which you don’t have to worry about because the set focus tool does both giving an accurate focus on the surface of the material in the lid camera image and then correct focus of the beam on the material.

Saved settings really should be just for power and speed, LPI, etc.

2 Likes

Ok because I noticed it had the .124 setting from when I put them in saved on each setting. Thanks for your help. I’ll watch that video now.

1 Like