Full of Excitement!

It’s been a busy week for me because of the holidays and checking my email was not a part of my week.

Anyway, I’m was just browsing my overwhelmingly long list of unread emails and found out that the “GF Golden Email” was in it. I just can’t believe it, I’m so excited and full of hard to express emotions. I replied to the email with the shipping address and hopefully within six weeks i would be able to share some “First Prints” experience in the forum.

My question though is, should I be able to use the machine w/out the “Air Filter”, since it won’t be deliver until mid-year next year. If so, any tips on what i should do using the GF w/out the air filter, like, should it be wide open area or in a well ventilated place, or having it an a small room (say 10ft x 10ft) with a small window will work fine?

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!!

Sincerely,
BASTi

9 Likes

Without venting outdoors is known as ‘Running Comando’. You don’t want to do that. Think of having a campfire in the room. You really need to vent out a window.

6 Likes

congrats on the email.
All you need to do is make a temp vent plate for the window and connect your exhaust to that, should be fine.
Like @PrintToLasersaid, you do not want to use this without venting to the outside.
I made a temp vent out of cardboard and a 4" hose connector, place the vent in the window when I want to use the forge, works great.

4 Likes

Thank you @PrintToLaser and @numosbk for your quick response!

I think I can do numosbk’s solution to the small window my room has.

Now, just a quick additional question… w/out the ventilation, would it trigger the smoke detector if things gets worse?

Thanks!
BASTi

1 Like

It absolutely should trigger a smoke detector without venting.

7 Likes

My little studio pantry room is only about 7x7…and I used a aluminum dryer duct in the old windows in there and it works just great. My windows slide open horizontally. So excited for you to get your Glowforge! You’re going to love it.

7 Likes

If a window isn’t a great option or if you just want something more permanent: I use mine in a small space and just went big, cut a dryer vent hole in the wall. It’s actually fairly easy to do, I got an inexpensive louvered vent on amazon (10-15 bucks I think?), used a compass to draw the hole outline (4 1/8”), and cut with a jigsaw.

I’ve never done anything like it before, and it only took an hour and a half tops.

The only things that were tricky: be sure no electrical wires are inside the wall, and align the holes really well between inner wall and outer wall.

Tools:
Drill with a long bit (that’s how I aligned the holes, I drilled straight through both walls)
Compass
Jigsaw
Louvered vent kit like this: Whirlpool 8212662 Flush Mount Louvered Flapper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049I6LL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ea6qAbXGZWM4E
Screwdriver to install the vent kit.

Optionally, a 4” hole-cutting bit on your drill might be easier, but I didn’t want to go out and shop.

5 Likes

I’m glad you got some good replies here! Both Glowforge Pro and Basic have a 4" flange on the back for the exhaust. You can run up to 8’ of dryer hose to vent it out a window.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have additional questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for asking!

1 Like