Fun "motel" keychains

i’ve seen 3 color, too, but it’s usually two thin on top of a thick, not thin/thick/thin, which would make this work even better as a 2 sided design.

3 Likes

I just looked through Trotec’s stuff. Looks like they have quite a few 3-color options available BUT only in 1/16”. I only saw one 1/8” option that was yellow/black/yellow. Scratch that. Just saw 1/8” in red/white/red. Maybe I didn’t look through everything close enough.

It looks like from the pic that it’s thin/thick/thin.

Disclaimer - all I’ve used of that stuff is basically the stuff that they make name plaques from (a walnut and white combo), but it engraves super nice.

5 Likes

that’s cool. i’ll have to look more into those. I have been getting a ton of samples from Romark. Whenever they send me a marketing email about acrylic samples, i click the “send me a sample” link. but i don’t think anything i’ve gotten is thin/thick/thin.

another option, if you want 1/8", is you could back-to-back two pieces of 1/16 with solvent with the thin sides out, then engrave/cut afterward. you’d probably have a lot more color options doing it that way.

3 Likes

They had these at the Hotel Cecil! Thanks for sharing the file :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this file. Brings back memories for sure! You know you’re seasoned when you remember these key chains.

1 Like

Ohhhh where did you find the “nametag” stuff?

https://www.engraving-supplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=troply
(if you do a search on Google for “trotec acrylic” it comes up :slight_smile: )

1 Like

This is great! Thank you for the file!

Hey I’m not seeing the sag file anymore. Is it possible to send it again?

resized motel fob.ai (1.1 MB)

see if this AI works for you

resized motel fob
and here’s the svg version. The text is FPO and odd, so just delete and add your own.

1 Like

I created swag for a local company along the same line in wood. Thanks for sharing your skill and files.

4 Likes

Hello, when you paint and wipe, do you engrave with the masking on it? I tend to take the masking off prior to engraving. Curious if I should leave it on for the painting.

2 Likes

Hi,
This is great! Can you please send me the link. Working on a project this will be ideal!
Thanks,
J

Welcome to the forum.

Right click the line drawing and save image as svg to your computer. The file is in the OP’s ninth post in this thread.

In general, it is against forum rules to ask for files. If a designer chooses to share a file they post in the Free Laser File section. This particular design is unusual in that it was shared in the Made on a Glowforge category and then shared in a later post.

2 Likes

My first real attempt with acrylic. My friend’s band “The Keyz” seemed like an obvious choice for this exercise. Can be improved on a bit, but they really liked them! Thanks for the template and idea! I love retro, vintage stuff!

6 Likes

I learned from @evansd2 here on the forum about using wood glue on acrylic as masking. I tried it and it works absolutely fantastic, and that’s all I use now when I am engraving on acrylic! Just coat your acrylic with a light coat of wood glue. I let mine dry completely before lasering. Then do your fill while the glue is still on. The wood clue keeps the paint from seeping underneath like regular masking does and it peels off easily (I used a straight pin at the very edge to start and to get all the small parts). It leaves a really nice, clean design.

4 Likes

For reference:

4 Likes

Awesome tip! Thank you sooo much! I will try that!!

1 Like

Holy cow my friend, that is awesome info! I can’t wait to try it. (But now I have to go see if my wood glue is all dried out. :laughing:)

2 Likes