Fun with cord and walnut

EDIT EDIT: A friend wanted one shaped like a boat. I love a good challenge. Took 3 tries to get the shape and height right. Just 1/8" Walnut - no glue. Finished with Beeswax.

EDIT: added additional pictures of a bowl that has a floating base. Just wanted to see if I could do it. :slight_smile: not sure I even like it. :joy:

Had an idea to use some cord I have lying around. Used 1 board of medium walnut and about 12 yards of cord. Cut was fast, about 15 mins. Stringing took about a half hour. Have about 6 more design ideas in my head. Lol

Hope everyone had an awesome holiday!!!

72 Likes

Well that’s new and cool😊

14 Likes

Thanks. Fun little project!

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing the pics. It is nice to see you here again.

13 Likes

Amazing as always

8 Likes

Hey, welcome back Victor! Glad you found a little spare time to do something new and useful.

13 Likes

Yeah it’s been a while.

9 Likes

Making a concerted effort to design more this year. Design one done. Lol

16 Likes

That’s really attractive, Victor!

10 Likes

Clever combination of materials Victor! Nice piece of inspiration, good to see you around man.

11 Likes

Wonderful! Sure to be inspiring for others!!

9 Likes

Oh that is awesome! So simple and elegant, but I’ll bet the stringing was not simple. Wouldn’t it be cool in a mix of different color cords?

10 Likes

Got a pic of the bottom? Curious how you setup the eyelets on the base.

8 Likes

That’s really cool! The cord looks like a tricky weave - neat final look!

7 Likes

The bottom is just hooks that either are attached to the legs or insert through the bottom. That was the east part to figure out, the hard part was the math involved to get it to resolve so that the number of legs matched with the number of hooks. Lol stringing it was actually easy.

18 Likes

Nah it was actually easy. There are 3 variations, skip 1, skip 2, and skip 3 (pictured). Each of these variations ends where you begin. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sorry, meant to include you on the reply to Jeanne. It was actually easy. Lesson learned is that you have to have an odd number in order for it end where you begin. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That is very eye appealing! Nice work… as usual!

7 Likes

Are the eyes glued in or just held by tension in the weave? It looks like a cotton twine?

5 Likes

The whole thing is held together by tension. It is cotton 3mm Macrame cord. I wanted to use 3mm paracord but I didn’t have enough.

9 Likes