Fused Glass images with Glassline paint

I have always been looking for ways to put images on glass, sandblasting, decals, enamels etc. There is a product, Glassline, that is for glass and ceramics. It is not design for paint as such, but more for line drawing. It fires from 1300 to 1500 degrees. You can use it in a airbrush to get nice even coating and that is what I did for these projects. I was expecting for fail big time when I first tried, but to my surprise the laser actually fused the paint to the glass with not fumes or without the glass chipping or breaking. I took a scrub brush to the image and it didn’t budge. As a habit with working with Glassline I always fire a clear coat of powder to finish my project. It also helps if you pre-fire you blank so that the surface is as smooth as posible.

The first image is of a line drawing. Airbrushed with black Glassline and printed the image. (Sorry for the blury image) The setting were for Engrave, Full Power, speed at 500. Line density was at 195. The dot matrix is a little tricky. Too much and it burns the paint off instead of fusing it. I found that this setting needs to be adjust to the image.

The next project was with the help of Paintshop (corel version of photoshop). I took an image of a table top and layer a doilie that my mother had done over it. Air brush brown paint and printed it and cleaned off the loose paint. Then I airbrush black paint over where the lettering was and printed that.

Simple images work the best with any kind of text. This was just that.

17 Likes

I must give that a try.

How interesting. Look forward to seeing the idea developed.

Nice work! FYI we can’t discuss non-PG settings outside of the Beyond the Manual section. Would you like me to move your post over there, or would you rather remove the settings?

1 Like

Very cool–I’m curious, for a person that doesn’t own a kiln or other means to fire the tiles/coatings, have you tested without the clear coat & let those of us without kiln know if this is a possible option for us to just use the Glassline for artwork? Thanks!

Sorry. Please move it. It as first post. Thanks

1 Like

?? Oh, I think you meant to reply to @geek2nurse about the location of your post…
My reply/question was direct to your post (whatever category it was in…).

I am not sure in glassline if food proof. I gave it a good scrub and there was some loss but I haven’t taken it any farther. Not sure if it would hold up in the dishwasher over time.

Thanks–I wasn’t thinking about food proof or dishwasher myself, either–thinking more how to keep the benefit of glazed tile intact so can be used still for back splashes or coasters or other non-food applications that may get wet…

What a unique process! I’ve always wondered if fusing glass was a possibility—thanks for doing the research. I’ve got a set of glass powders for fusing but I’ve never tried it with the laser—I suspect they need to be of a much finer grain size than what I have.