Fusion 360 DXF ===> Inscsape SVG

Back to my same old dirty little question. . .

Will the GF software natively accept a DXF generated by Fusion 360 WITHOUT having to pass it through some other piece of software? ? ? Should be an easy answer. . . Yes. . . No. . . We have no intention of doing so. . . It is under development. . . etc., etc.

I hear references to Fusion 360 and DXF and Inkscape pass across the lips (well, in written format lips anyway) of staff and users, and also referenced via the GF website. However, moving a Fusion 360 generated DXF into Inkscape gives you the BIG UGLY! OK, unless I need to to be given some simple school’n which I will always gratefully accept.

Here are a couple of screen shots:

a) a beautiful, perfect, “make me smile” DXF generated in Fusion 360. . .

b) a but ugly blob, “make me want to cry” SVG base when imported into Inkscape from the Fusion 360 DXF. . .

Obviously unusable. And sure, I understand that the GF seems to be pretty much only talked about in terms of the artists and craft types using AI or Inkscape natively and without the same requirement of precision as us parts guys using CAD, but still.

Wouldn’t dumbing down the cutting of DXF files directly through GF (at least throught the Fusion 360 CAD software talked about here all the time) just make sense?

Frustrated. . . Seriously.
Going anywhere. . . No.

1 Like

I can’t answer the “will the glowforge accept…” question.

I can address the “but ugly blob” in Inkscape. Click on “Object -> Fill and Stroke” in the menu. This should open a panel on the right. Select the “Stroke style” tab. Do “Select All” (Ctrl-A) in Inkscape to select all your objects. Then set the stroke Width to something reasonable, like 0.01 in. That should make all your lines look better in Inkscape.

Of course, it’s a pain in the butt to do this every time you want to cut something, so your original “Will the GF accept my Fusion 360 files directly” question still stands.

1 Like

Thanks you, thank you, thank you. . .

You Canadian guys are soooooo smart! :smile:

1 Like

Definitely.

I have the impression that Dan intends to have the GF open DXF files. DWG has too many variants to be practical.
I programmed a DXF to geometric code ( similar to G code, but earlier and more primitive). If you save DXF as Ascii it is readable in an editor, and there is total documentation of what the fields mean. I did not find any variants. However, opening and exporting a file really only takes a minute or two, so I do not see it as an urgent necessity.
One GF has confidence in the hardware, I would like them to ship with whatever software features are ready, even as little as the tricks obviously working at the open evening, like the original Macintosh which shipped with only a couple of programs. Then they can catch up with a carefully prioritized series of bells and whistles.

1 Like

Don’t forget polite. Us Canadian guys are polite too! (…and good-looking).

3 Likes

I hear you, but I believe it only fits the “bells and whistles” category if you don’t really care about it. I don’t see why it should be a problem to ask and expect an answer the DXF question. The answer is definitely available, it either “can or can’t” or “will or won’t”. I’m not going anywhere, I would just really like to know the answer to that question. More than any other question I could possible come up with.

I’m sorry, I forgot to mention that. :yum:

I would say so…

2 Likes

About the stroke thickness and ugly blob. Do what @polarbrainfreeze said. But since it is all vectors, I’m guessing that even if you didn’t thin down the line you could still run central on it . I think in the GF software when you select vectors you state if you raster or vector along. So if vector I think it will just go by the line and not as it visually appears.

I agree that the GF would probably cut the file even if it shows up as a thick ugly blob. It would probably cut right down the middle of the line. So you may not need to do what I said. It’s only if you want to see it properly in Inkscape (and perhaps edit it) that you need to play with the line thickness.

Done and the once ugly blob DXF is an SVG and as pretty as it gets, especially with anti-aliasing turned on. :relaxed:

It’s the “part 2” of my original post that I’m after now. . . Is there going to be DXF “direct” to GF direct as similar to SVG “direct” to GF direct? The answer is with the team, I just don’t understand the “why” as not to address it.

Uhhh. . . Heavy sigh. . . :disappointed_relieved:

I’d like to know the official answer to the DXF-direct-to-GF question, too.

2 Likes

Yes,
@dan has said this in the past:
“anything that can output as DXF or SVG should be fine”

1 Like

That statement is definitely not the same as saying you can go “DXF direct to GF”.

Read this thread, Maybe it will help:

No mention whatsoever of DXF direct to GF in that thread. This is an easy question for @dan to answer, “yes there is/will be” or “no there isn’t/won’t be”. I don’t understand why there would be any level of secrecy/non disclosure surrounding a question like this. It’s just a question about the product.

Sorry you don’t believe me.
Not only is it on the main specs page:

“Compatible with JPG, PNG, TIF, SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, and many more file formats”

But in that thread, nateva asked:
I have some experience with Fusion and the AutoCAD iPad
apps (123…) for 3D printing, but I am not locked in to any app right
now. I’d like to find one that will be easy for my homeschooled 10 and
13 year old to pick up and use. Any suggestions?

Also, I’d like to get started with preparing some designs, is there a
cheat sheet on how to format a design to denote cutting versus
engraving, etc?

@dans answer was:
…but anything that can output as DXF or SVG should be fine - but we use
Fusion360, Rhino, and Sketchup in the office often FWIW. (I’m probably
forgetting one).

I don’t think it’s a big “secrecy/non disclosure” thing, I think it’s more of a “asked and answered” thing.

I am trying to be helpful and provide you with the answer that @dan already gave.

I have flagged @dan on this thread so he will see it and reconfirm what he has already said just to put you at ease.

Yes, I appreciate you are trying to be helpful, but my sense is that currently the “DXF to GF” being eluded to is much more likely to mean" DXF to SVG to GF". There is a difference and it represents more steps and more tweaking when you load a DXF into something like Inkscape (resizing as an example). That is why I have been asking for clarification from the GF team as they actually know the answer. It’s just a question for the team.

1 Like

I understand, We will wait for @dan to tell you then.