Fusion 360 DXF ===> Inscsape SVG

I agree that the GF would probably cut the file even if it shows up as a thick ugly blob. It would probably cut right down the middle of the line. So you may not need to do what I said. It’s only if you want to see it properly in Inkscape (and perhaps edit it) that you need to play with the line thickness.

Done and the once ugly blob DXF is an SVG and as pretty as it gets, especially with anti-aliasing turned on. :relaxed:

It’s the “part 2” of my original post that I’m after now. . . Is there going to be DXF “direct” to GF direct as similar to SVG “direct” to GF direct? The answer is with the team, I just don’t understand the “why” as not to address it.

Uhhh. . . Heavy sigh. . . :disappointed_relieved:

I’d like to know the official answer to the DXF-direct-to-GF question, too.

2 Likes

Yes,
@dan has said this in the past:
“anything that can output as DXF or SVG should be fine”

1 Like

That statement is definitely not the same as saying you can go “DXF direct to GF”.

Read this thread, Maybe it will help:

No mention whatsoever of DXF direct to GF in that thread. This is an easy question for @dan to answer, “yes there is/will be” or “no there isn’t/won’t be”. I don’t understand why there would be any level of secrecy/non disclosure surrounding a question like this. It’s just a question about the product.

Sorry you don’t believe me.
Not only is it on the main specs page:

“Compatible with JPG, PNG, TIF, SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, and many more file formats”

But in that thread, nateva asked:
I have some experience with Fusion and the AutoCAD iPad
apps (123…) for 3D printing, but I am not locked in to any app right
now. I’d like to find one that will be easy for my homeschooled 10 and
13 year old to pick up and use. Any suggestions?

Also, I’d like to get started with preparing some designs, is there a
cheat sheet on how to format a design to denote cutting versus
engraving, etc?

@dans answer was:
…but anything that can output as DXF or SVG should be fine - but we use
Fusion360, Rhino, and Sketchup in the office often FWIW. (I’m probably
forgetting one).

I don’t think it’s a big “secrecy/non disclosure” thing, I think it’s more of a “asked and answered” thing.

I am trying to be helpful and provide you with the answer that @dan already gave.

I have flagged @dan on this thread so he will see it and reconfirm what he has already said just to put you at ease.

Yes, I appreciate you are trying to be helpful, but my sense is that currently the “DXF to GF” being eluded to is much more likely to mean" DXF to SVG to GF". There is a difference and it represents more steps and more tweaking when you load a DXF into something like Inkscape (resizing as an example). That is why I have been asking for clarification from the GF team as they actually know the answer. It’s just a question for the team.

1 Like

I understand, We will wait for @dan to tell you then.

That’s my concern, too. As you say, it should be an easy question to “officially” answer.

My guess is that the official answer will be that they haven’t got a DXF importer built yet, but plan to. In other words, even if we initially do have to take an extra step like this, at some point after the initial release, they will update the website/cloud with support for a DXF. They have gone on record as saying everything on the website will be possible, so it’s almost certainly a matter of when, not if.

Let me preface with the comment that I am seriously looking forward to having my GF Pro in my shop. Unbelievable so.

That said, I’m an advocate of if you know the answer, communicate it. Dispense with the marketing hype and pre-delivery mysteries, we’re past that point. The $27,907,995 is in the bank, so there is no downside to answering questions being asked that you in fact know the answer to. And to the people that handed over that $27,907.995, do not be afraid to ask questions out of some misplaced fear that there may not be answers or that the delicate balance in the cosmos will be disrupted if you do so.

To my understanding based on all the content on the website I have read plus all the interviews I’ve seen Dan do, along with community posts here, the only plugin I have heard spoken of that currently exists is the one for AI. If someone can point me to a “GF team” statement to the contrary, I’m all ears.

So, the website is 100% truthful with the statement that GF is “Compatible with JPG, PNG, TIF, SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, and many more file formats”, as all they need to say that is that single AI plugin as every one of those formats mentioned can be imported into AI (and used with that plugin I am assuming); or imported into AI or Inkscape, etc. and saved as an SVG which can be handled by the GF interface/program/app. It is something of a leap to get to the interpretation from that statement that all those formats are “format to GF” direct and what I mean by that is that the format (say DXF as an example) can be process by the GF interface/program/app in exactly the same manner as an SVG format.

I’m just looking for clarification from the GF team with respect to that (not so subtle) distinction. That’s all, just clarification.

While I can’t find it, I seem to remember Dan commenting that working with DXF directly could be problematic because of standardization issues or something to that effect. I could be mistaken on that as I can’t currently locate a reference.

At best, all formats will have direct compatability with GF, at worst, the wording on the website has been cleverly crafted to allow it to be incorrectly interpreted that way.

If ultimately DXF direct to GF does not happen, yes, I will be seriously disappointed. But either way, I’m in for the count. I just looking for the straight up answer.

Ya, I know what you’re thinking, “geeze, this guy is like a dog on a bone”.

Not sure I understand your logic. The user uploads any of the supported formats through the Glowforge web interface and somewhere offsite it is converted into a format that is useable. The Glowforge itself doesn’t read any of those formats directly. It’s a very low level device. In the case of Illustrator they have, or intend, to have a plugin strictly for convenience. They may or may not have plugins for other applications for convenience. If not, you upload the supported file manually through the web interface. The Glowforge team is pretty smart and would fully understand that if the user has to manually convert a file before it is uploaded then that’s not a supported file type. I’d question the moon landing before questioning the statement on compatible formats in such a convoluted manner. It is certainly valid to ask if DXF is still a supported format.

And from Dan on Dec 15th:
“but anything that can output as DXF or SVG should be fine”

2 Likes

It’s part of the “big plan” They are coming for our files!!!

I should add that my last comment could have been interpreted as condescending. Certainly don’t mean it that way. Just didn’t understand the logic behind the statement. Unless you weren’t aware of how the files were uploaded.

1 Like

We don’t currently import DXF files but will add it.

3 Likes

Perfect. Thank you for the response @dan .

Thanks @dan

Want to apologize because I now understand the confusion with importing DXF. I recently found one place in all the forums, videos, interviews, etc that made it very unclear as to whether DXF would be supported as a directly imported file type. Both yours and my position would be that if it was not directly supported, then the GF specs and FAQs concerning DXF were clearly incorrect. Though I was pretty sure that DXF was not yet implemented, it would certainly be added. Not sure now whether direct DXF was always in the plan or has just been added to the plan. Either way, question resolved.