Fusion 360 + Origin Not Cooperating With AI

I use Fusion 360 to model my designs and the Origin utility to export into an SVG file. I start to run into issues when I load them into Adobe Illustrator for layout. The SVG objects that load into AI have slight different dimensions than in fusion. For example, a square I have set to 95mm width in Fusion is read as 94.897 in AI, and when it is loaded into GFUI it reads as 94.9. When I upload directly from the Origin SVG, it reads the proper 95mm in GFUI.

I think what is happening is that maybe Originā€™s lines are based on edges and AI is based on center lines. Iā€™m curious if anyone has run into this issue before and if there is a way I can correct for it without needing to offset every dimension in my fusion file.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a known import export problem because art programs donā€™t use a standard points per inch. I donā€™t know AI but somewhere in preferences is a place to set that.

7 Likes

Hmmm ok, thatā€™s helpful to know. Havenā€™t found the settings or a guide yet but Iā€™ll update here if I do.

This might get you going in the right direction (caveat, I havenā€™t read through it since Iā€™m not an AI user either!):

1 Like

Unfortunately thatā€™s related to exporting from Illustrator, not into Illustrator unless Iā€™ve missed something. I still canā€™t find a workaround to get AI to read fusionā€™s export SVG/DXFs properly.

Are you using the latest version of AI? If so, just export Dfx from Fusion and you will be good to go. That or you can do what I do and pay for other products but end up using Inkscape because it works. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m using AI 27.0, the DXFs have the same issue though.

Ok I think I actually figured it out. If I use the ā€˜placeā€™ function, it comes in with the wonky sizing. If I open the file independently, then copy it over to my artboard it looks like it maintains its original dimensions.

Certainly a more annoying workflow with many part layouts but if it keeps working Iā€™ll take it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.