Fusion 360 to Glowforge workflow

With the help of @marmak3261 and @Jules I have prepared a short tutorial on F360 to glowforge workflow.

It is in PDF so I don’t have to fight the forums formatting.

I don’t have a GF so there could be mistakes due to that even with @marmak3261 generous help.

As with all things GF, this is a moving target and subject to change.

F360 to Glowforge workflow 2.pdf (932.1 KB)

48 Likes

Thanks for the time and effort you all put into this document. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great job on it Mark! (Very easy to understand and follow!) :grin:

3 Likes

Hey guys,

I find that saving something as a DXF often loses the exact dimensions of the object I created in Fusion.

To mitigate that, in the sketch I want to export, I create a rectangle around the whole sketch with a known dimension. So if the object I want to cut is about 2"x8.5" I would probably put a rectangle in the sketch around it that is 4" x 10".

When I import the DXF into Inkscape, I “Select All”, specify the size of that object is 4" x 10" (in the toolbar at the top). I now know that the Inkscape version has the same exact dimensions as my object in Fusion 360. I can then remove the rectangle.

Do you have another way of making sure the dimensions are the same?

25 Likes

Haven’t checked exported dimensional accuracy yet, but that sounds like a good idea for when I finish up a couple that are currently in the works.

I’m pretty sure the one @Hirudin did for me in that collaboration video came out the right size - maybe it’s an export setting.

2 Likes

I used to use the same technique with SketchUp. I’ve experienced dimensional loss with both SketchUp and Fusion when saving to DXF.

5 Likes

Ughhhh! Good to know, I guess, so we can check for it. :smirk:

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

This is great since I can precisely define shapes and then use Inkscape to add text (if needed) and export for the GF…Thx!!

2 Likes

Annnnd bookmarked. Thanks.

3 Likes

One more tip on this, since I just ran into it…

I found that, as described by @polarbrainfreeze, that I had to resize the imported DXF in Inkscape. Be careful when scaling the object in Inkscape, otherwise your lines (strokes) will scale with the object making the lines thicker.

This image was scaled AND the lines/strokes were scaled with it, producing thick lines.

And this image was scaled maintaining the line/stroke thickness:

There is a button that you want to ensure is “up”, which will leave the lines/strokes their default thickness which scaling/resizing the object in Inkscape…

21 Likes

I did not know that! I was always frustrated by the line thickness changing all the time!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!

In illustrator, the toggle for stroke scaling is found in the General Preferences pane:

14 Likes

How much do you need to scale by? Is it perhaps a metric / imperial mismatch?

@palmercr You are correct!!

Inkscape assumes DXF input is in mm (my original drawing was in Inches):

I did another test and created a 60mm square in Fusion360, exported to DXF and imported into Inkscape. ***Note that the imported object was slightly larger when imported (60.282 x 60.288…notice different size/dimension) but this can be corrected by selecting all and setting the size…

8 Likes

Thank you!!!

I did not know this. Usually I would make all line thicknesses to 0, scale my image to what I want and then make the line thicknesses the width I wanted. That way, I knew the image was the size I wanted.

That button will save me a few steps.

4 Likes

Even though I’m in Canada, I’ve been mostly working in inches as well. I’ll try changing to mm in Fusion360 and see what happens.

I’m in the US and I go back and forth between mm and inches. It just depends what I am doing and which tool I am in!

2 Likes

That might be why mine came across accurately as well…I design in mm in F360, and now pretty much in AI too.