Gantry Alignment Issue

Hopefully not a crack

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re gantry is realigned. If it looks like there is a crack in the area @BRB pointed out, could you take a picture of that section of the tube and post it here?

If not, could you try printing the Founder’s Ruler again and let us know how it goes?

3 Likes

Ingnore my post… meant to hit cancel

2 Likes

3 Likes

Looks like a reflection to me

3 Likes

@semhar No crack in my laser tube, but there is a small scratch, that looks like a reflection, but is not.

Other than the very small scratch on the left side of the tube, the rest of the tube looks fine.

I did test the following note from Glowforge Support, which I found very confusing.

"Hi Tom,

I see you already posted about this in the forum and are getting help there, so I’ll close this now. If you’d prefer to handle it privately, just let me know and I’ll close the forum thread and we can continue in email.

Best,
Semhar"

Not sure if we are only supposed to use the forum or email, but not both or what.

3 Likes

My understanding is that whilst the forum can give you some decent advice it is Staff that will give you solutions.
IMHO you are better discussing it privately with them to get a clear warranty-inclusive answer or replacement machine if necessary

3 Likes

I agree, was just confused about the email stating the ticket would be closed as I posted the same issue here on the forum.

Hopefully, this will get resolved soon.

2 Likes

Dan has said posting here generates a ticket also, so it is up to you which channel you want to communicate on, privately or publicly.

2 Likes

Your email direct to support opened a Support ticket and your post in Problems and Support opened a Support ticket. Rather than have redundant open tickets in the system, one of them was closed.

4 Likes

I can understand not having 2 tickets open on the same problem but there has been little communication here other than this:

now it seems they want you to try and run a file but how can you know?
I can’t say I’m impressed here.

1 Like

How can you know what?

I’m curious… What would have impressed you? I mean, the request seems pretty reasonable to me. Not sure how they can diagnose anything without asking for some specific things here. They asked for a picture, and asked to try and run a job. They’ve always seemed to reply to my support requests very quickly, like they have here. They definitely seem to take owner critique very seriously. So maybe if you can give a little detail of what you’re looking for, they may be able to accommodate in the future.

Meanwhile, I definitely look forward to the new ruler attempt. Sure hope the issue is gone!

2 Likes

What would have impressed me was better communication.
Direct instructions to @Just-Maken-It, Acknowledge that what he did is indeed what the wanted him to do and give direct instructions on what to do/try next.
I’m not implying that Support doesn’t do a good job on whole but from what I see in this thread, If it were me I’d be frustrated. Karaelena gave good instruction of what to try but she’s not support. They could have said “yes do exactly as karaelena said and then please try and print the founders ruler on some proofgrade material. Please report your results back here.”

Any way, this is not helping to solve his problem.
I’ll back off and let them do their job.

1 Like

I certainly see those points.

Welp! I’m looking forward to seeing a happy ending to @Just-Maken-It’s issue!

2 Likes

You’re spot on. I’m now very frustrated at this point. I can’t tell if I should be posting here or just communicating via email. It’s now Wednesday morning and I’ve made no progress beyond the initial setup attempt Sunday evening. I know Glowforge has stated a 3 business day or less response from support. Yes, I’ve gotten two responses from support #5 and the email posted in #9, neither of which have helped me to resolve the gantry alignment issue, #5 even indicates I resolved the gantry issue, not true.

Personally, I’m okay using the forum or email, I just need someone from support to tell me how they wan to communicate. I know today is officially only business day 3, but I expect once someone in support started working on this issue there would be fairly quick diagnosis and resolution.

2 Likes

I think there may have been a miscommunication… You’d said

I know I read that as “The gantry’s where it should be.” I can only guess that’s how Support read it as well.

Have you powered on since you straightened it?

2 Likes

@Tom_A I have to disagree, they asked me to try and print the Founders Ruler again, which I did last night and emailed back that I had the same problem. All pictures have been posted here.

Just to keep this open and transparent, here is the email I sent back to support as I can’t tell which method to be communication with support.

Semhar,

in the forum you asked me to try printing the Founder Ruler again after manually realigning the gantry. I did and got the same result. With the power off and moved the gantry to about the center of the bed and moved the head under the camera in the center. Turned the power on and the gantry made a couple small moves and eventually the head head moved all the way back to the left and then the gantry moved to the back of the unit.

After this I placed a piece of Proofgrade Medium Maple on the bed and select the Founders Ruler for the GUI. The image of the Proofgrade showed in the GUI and the indicated the that was the material on the bed. After this, I clicked on the print button in the GUI and shortly afterward the gantry began to move as it had before with almost no movement on the right and the left side moving forward past the right side once again misalignment of the gantry.

I also posted a picture in the forum of a very small scratch on the left side of the laser tube. At first I thought this was just a smudge, but using a soft cloth I use to clean my glasses this does not come off. I would not consider it a crack, just a very small scratch. Gantry Alignment Issue

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

2 Likes

Ah. Thanks for the update!
Man, I’m sorry to hear it. Hope they get you resolved quickly!

2 Likes

Yes, I powered on again last night as requested to attempt to print the Founders Ruler again. The same thing happened as described in the email I copied into my last post.

So far, two attempts to print, both with the same result where the left side of the gantry moves forward and the right side drags behind causing a major alignment issue with the gantry.

I hope so too. Thanks for caring.

I think the multiple communications channels (forum and email) have caused the issue to be fragmented.

1 Like