Gaps in door. Exhaust?

There was another post that showed discharge / particulates exiting the door area.

Is there supposed to be this much of a gap in between the doors? If I can see into it, smoke and particulate can exit it… (?) The gap is the same on both sides.

If I can see into it, does that mean the laser beam can shine out of it?

The gap is normal. The laser can not exit through that crack. There is a plastic door flange on the other side of the gap. Smoke should not exit during operation because the exhaust fan sucks air in through that crack and other gaps vs. blowing out. If smoke exits while the fan is running then there are other venting issues.

5 Likes

What rpegg said ^^ It’s not designed to be air tight as when the fan blows it creates a negative pressure and pulls good air in as bad air goes out the vent. The only thing to keep an eye on is the fan in the back getting dirty and clogged after a lot of use. It’s happened to a few of us especially dirty cutters :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Shockingly enough, this also happens when you dont bother to open the blast gate. So now there’s a post it over my button reminding me not to be an idiot. I’m thinking of glowforging a little cover thing that flips up. Like in movies to access the missile launch buttons.

8 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a more appropriate place and time for a bodily function joke

:grin:

3 Likes

Just added a blast gate since we’ve had sub-zero (F) lows recently. I have a great big reminder on my whiteboard that I’m absolutely sure to not read one of these days… I’ve considered a checklist escutcheon, but I’m sure I’d not read it either. :confused:

3 Likes

6 Likes

You found my yearbook photo!

2 Likes

Lol… I’m on the other side, pulling, trying to help.

4 Likes

I cut a sign out of scrap (all it says is Blast gate"). I stick it on the lid of the GF when the blast gate is closed. When I open it I stick the sign on the blast gate. That way if I close it I’m reminded to leave the sign on the GF.

1 Like

Having driven off in our RV with the TV antenna still up, I needed a similar reminder. These kinds of things are ‘out of sight, out of mind’. Had Glowria help me by making a wooden tag that merely says TV in large letters on it. When the antenna is up, I clip the tag to the gear shift where I can’t possibly miss seeing it.

2 Likes

You must visit RMNP in CO a lot! I see that just about every time I head up there. :wink:

Thanks for the answer @rpegg!

I’m going to close this thread - if you’re seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, please post a new topic or email us at @support@glowforge.com.

what is that?