I was inspired by the spinners I saw at Maker Faire last month and wanted to work on something fun with the different techniques I saw there. I thought the planetary gears from the Steamy Tech people were really cool to play with and wanted to try and do something similar to get some experience with the parts and integration. I also liked how @marmak3261 had used nuts for weights and wanted to use the same solution for weighting mine. I worked out a first draft and cut it out of some 1/8" and 1/4" acrylic.
Then I did some rough assembly to see if it was going to fit together as expected.
I had to update the hole size for the nuts once since it was too tight a tolerance, but after that it worked well. Next I tried the gears to see if they’d fit together.
These also went well. Next I went to find some screws for assembly. Once I had screws and bolts, I could check the size and do some etching to trap the nuts to prevent them from spinning during assembly. I had to do a few tests of that for size and depth that seemed right.
It went together fairly well, but I need to take up some slack in different areas and maybe use some locktite on the nuts so they don’t back out. The gears would probably do a lot better made out of delrin. Not bad for a proof of concept though.