Generator use

Has anyone asked about running the forge on a generator?

I have a UPS for mine.

A UPS connected to a generator…why not. If it can handle the electricity.

I hope you don’t mean the forge in range of the said generator powering it.

Maker’s Fair people would know how to answer that, I guess it depends on your set up.

I would think that an inverter generator with enough wattage would be fine for the task.

1 Like

Beyond required wattage, I’m wondering if the “quality” of the AC waveform is an issue running a Forge?

1 Like

That’s why I mentioned the inverter generator…they are made for powering electronics because they have a ‘cleaner waveform’ as compared to normal generators, which are usually cheaper than the inverters for a given wattage. However, I’m no expert here…just speaking from personal experience.

2 Likes

It depends on the UPS, many of them don’t activate their power regulation / filtering if the incoming voltage source is in tolerance. As mentioned, an inverter generator is by far the superior solution, they generate a much cleaner AC output than a standard generation. They are quieter and use less fuel as well.

I will add, they are not cheap though.

5 Likes

researches

TY!

1 Like

Here’s a video about converting DC to “pure sinusoidal” AC.

6 Likes

As long as the generator doesn’t interfere with the WiFi signal. I think my dryer is. That can always be fixed with distance.

To work on any mains voltage and meet world wide regulations the GF probably runs everything from a switch mode PSU with power correction. In that case it won’t care much about the mains waveform, frequency or voltage as long as they are within reasonable limits.

3 Likes

I think you’re basically correct.

Here’s a doc discussing inverter generators from the perspective of powering electronics.

Unlike conventional generators, which typically use a two-winding core that must turn at 3600 RPM to produce 120 V ac power at 60 Hz, inverter generators produce multiple-phase ac power at high frequencies, which is electronically “converted” to dc, then “inverted” back to rock-solid, low- distortion, 120 V, 60 Hz ac.

2 Likes

That’s what my question was geared towards…does the sine wave of the inverter matter? I know some electronic equipment will fry if a true sine wave inverter is not used.

We can’t recommend any products, but at a minimum, you’ll need a true sine wave output.

3 Likes