Geometric Utensil Crock

Might as well keep the ball rolling here! My next ‘real’ project came out after I moved into my new apartment and saw all my cooking utensils just laying on my counter. Gal Gaforge to the rescue!

The design is just one base pattern, and then mirrored to give it a continuous flow from side to side. I originally designed the stripes to all be 1/8", which resulted in a pretty dense pattern. It looked awesome! But, in the end I had to scale it up because the resulting panel was just too flimsy. The stripes are now all roughly 1/4" and so far (as in, since last night) it’s held up very well! haha

A word of caution with finger joints- check, check, and check again to make sure everything fits!! I forgot how much of a pain getting the correct kerf adjustments for these things are. Even with the eventual help of an online box generator I still ran into a spot of trouble with one of the sides of my bottom panel not lining up correctly. :sweat_smile: The fit ended up being very snug, though since this will likely get knocked around a little I used super glue for some extra security. Not sure yet what sort of coating I might put on for water protection.

I’m hoping to continue with this geometry in the future…maybe some smaller versions for tea lights?

73 Likes

Nice! We need a bigger one… :sunglasses:

Edit; I really like the idea of continued use of the design!

8 Likes

Thank you! On the opposite end of tea lights, I’m also thinking how this would look as a big pendant-style lampshade…or maybe something with more than four sides!

11 Likes

A matching light fixture is a splindid idea!!

7 Likes

Just gorgeous! Definitely something I’d like to try for my utensil holders - I’ve got them in several mismatched crocks, and I love the pattern! :grinning:

9 Likes

Thank you!! I spent a good portion of one day banging my head against my keyboard trying to create a ribbed, circular crock…I’m embarrassed to admit how long it took me to just go ‘wait…why not just make a square?’ In the end I like this pattern much better than my circular one!

11 Likes

Oh I definitely prefer the square shape. :grinning:

5 Likes

Very nice!

I need to make something similar. Right now my utensils are shoved into a protein powder jug with the top cut off. LOL

7 Likes

looks great! seeing you have the cut out pieces all knolled out next to the cut side, it almost make me wonder if there was a way to use the cut out pieces, too.

4 Likes

I have the same thought every time I pull a detailed cut off the tray. Sometimes the offcuts are as pretty as the actual item.

Take a peek at the 4th photo in this post: Colo-Glowers: Meetup with @dwardio

10 Likes

That is very, very nice…

5 Likes

Nice work!! Looks fantastic!

5 Likes

it just goes to show how strong of a design element negative space is.

6 Likes

Oh man, I stared at those pieces for a loooong time trying to figure out if I wanted to save them or not! For now they’re in a scrap bin, but unless I can get the laser smell to go away they may end up in a recycle bin instead :laughing: Cons of having your workshop double as your bedroom lol

6 Likes

Put them in a ziploc bag…the smell gets contained. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

If you do decide to use the negative pieces for something, here’s a tip (maybe it is well known to laser experts but it was new to me): Press some spare masking material down on the negative pieces so you can pick them up in formation. Then enclose them in low-tack masking for storage. The masking material I have is so low-tack that I can easily pull it off when I want to.

11 Likes

This. is. beautiful!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips @Jules and @cynd11!!

Yeah, I would keep with that geometric design on other things too. I really like it.

I think you could put a few coats of spray lacquer and it would hold up quite well to some moisture. I wouldn’t put it in the sink, but an occasional splash would be fine. If you’re putting wet utensils in there, maybe use an acid brush and some long-open-time epoxy (like west systems) to paint a layer on. That would be pretty much water proof.

3 Likes

Good tip!

1 Like