Getting very annoyed...GF is not printing accurately, out of alignment

My GF has cut about 1/2 inch off for the last 4 prints. It is ruining and wasting my materials. Can anyone offer some insight? I cleaned the camera lens before the day with an alcohol towlette. Am I missing something? Is there another area I need to be cleaning on the laser? It shows it aligned properly BEFORE the print on my screen, but after my print it is WAY off. Never had this problem before.

Maybe you should try this?

4 Likes

Thanks. Not sure how to do a calibration test. I will look into that. I use it regularly and wasn’t sure if I needed to just turn off the GF and refresh my browser (I already did the latter). I will try that and see if that fixes it. If not, I will look into the calibration you mentioned.

Guess no one in support has time to help me today

Yes, there are more areas to be cleaned: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning

And, no generally support doesn’t get back within an hour on here, and definitely not in the current state of things. Try printing the Gift of Good measure after you clean everything. If you’re still having issues, post pictures and the time you ran it. That may help speed up your support request.

5 Likes

For placement to be 1/2" off, you’ve got a focus problem. Are you engraving on something without the tray in it? (And if so, did you prop the surface of the material up into the correct range for the laser to focus?)

4 Likes

Just engraving 1/8 acrylic, like I have been for a month. Nothing new or out of the ordinary. I always use the tray. But thank you for the illustration and info. I will definitely keep that in mind with future projects. I’m not that advanced right now, though. :blush:

okay, that is good to know. I guess I just got lucky last time. I had a response within 5 minutes. I am going to try to print today after turning the machine off last night. Will see what happens. If it persists, I will use the cleaning link you gave me. Really appreciate the guidance!

1 Like

I just cleaned the whole machine according to the guidelines. Thank you for sharing the link! I will try to print in a bit. Hopefully, that is all it needed.

UPDATE: I just ran the GFGM as a test run. It looks pretty good now. Hopefully, it just needed a good cleaning. Took a photo of before the print and after and they are much better! Thank you.

1 Like

I’m sorry you ran into trouble with the alignment on your prints. It’s great to see that you received some excellent advice from our other community members and your test print of the Gift of Good Measure went well! I also extracted the logs from your most recent prints after running the Gift of Good Measure and was able to verify that the alignment looks good on those prints as well.

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any other questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!

1 Like