Camera Calibration

Hello, I just got my GlowForge pro and I am loving it so far! I got mine two days ago, and I was wondering since its new, do I need to perform a camera calibration on the machine? Or it should be calibrated already? Ive done a lot of engraving and tests and they seem to be accurate in terms of placement but if I need to calibrate my camera then I will do so.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the fun! You don’t need to, especially if you’re happy with alignment now :smiley:

6 Likes

Your username is interesting, Care to share what it means?

1 Like

If you are happy with it, then no need.

Many of us had issues with material placement, especially at the edges. This meant you had potential for a lot of wasted material, especially nearer the edges of the bed.

okay thank you!

Hey, gilbertslettering is my instagram handle. I am a calligrapher and lettering artist and I bought my glowforge to make wood cutouts of my own lettering to make custom signs, caketoppers, backdrops and such. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I see, thank you! I thought it was a process thats mandatory before using the machine! Thank you!

It’s definitely not mandatory - but “within spec” for the factory is within 1/4" and the camera calibration got many of us to within a mm - so it might be worth it :slight_smile:

As a calligrapher this might be of interest to you: Engraved Cutwork Scroll
(I still haven’t calligraphed it, waiting for someone who wants something from that period!)

1 Like

Nice! Can’t wait to see what you make. I’m a great admirer of lettering.

1 Like

I thought maybe that was it.

I’m not on isntagram, post some pics :wink:

2 Likes

Here are some of my glowforge and non glowforge projects I have done :slight_smile:

39 Likes

wow that is perfect for when i do wedding vows for clients thank you!!

3 Likes

Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Gasp! Your work is stunning!

2 Likes

Thank you sir!

1 Like

Thank you!

Nice work.

Just to reiterate what has been said, if you’re happy with the calibration use it. If you think it can be improved go through the calibration process. If by chance it comes out being worse, email support and they can reload your original calibration file. I recall this happening once, maybe twice, when they first released calibration. They have probably fixed bugs since then.

As I recall it being explained, at the factory they calibrate the glowforge on a very flat and large rock. I’ve seen similar chunks of stone in labs for similar purposes. When we all unbox our glowforges we set them on not quite as flat surfaces and introduce tiny twists to the case. The calibration routine attempts to correct for these.

5 Likes

Lovely work. It just the personal touch folks love at big life events!! I think your designs really hit the mark!

2 Likes

thank you! i ended up recalibrating my camera and its MUCHHHH better! my projects arent perfectly aligned but its close enough to where you wont notice it. thank you for the info

2 Likes

thank you so much for your feedback! i appreciate it!