GF cut bone?

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Awesome! I wonder how it would do with a tagua nut?

7 Likes

Definitely need to think about that for netsuke. (great…more ideas…sigh!)

4 Likes

Oh ho ho this looks awesome! Maybe I should’ve bought some of those bone blanks!

2 Likes

Outstanding news. I’ve been hoping to see how it looks and now I will be adding bone blanks to my list. The contrast is really nice,

1 Like

Bone drying DIY going to get a lot of hits from this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How long before we get folks asking how to field dress roadkill so they can get the raw materials? :smile:

7 Likes

Considering I purchased a very nice leather purse at a used clothing store this weekend for $3, just to get the leather. I thought my wife was going to kill me when she found me cutting it up :scream:

I guess roadkill is just the next step :wink:

14 Likes

Genius! Haven’t thought about a used clothing store as source of leather.

I picked up a used baby crib on Craigslist once. My parents were giving me crap that it wouldn’t be safe. Before I called the company to make sure it would be, I was thinking to myself, “Wow, this would be a great way to get really cheap cherry wood and other wood of the like!”

12 Likes

Just in case:

17 Likes

Nice, I used several of these tests when looking through the selection of used purses to find the leather I needed. The one test that did not work was the smell test. The previous owner of the purse was a smoker :mask:

5 Likes

Whoa! Good call on sharing that…can’t just go for any purse!

2 Likes

Yep, the first one I picked up looked great but as I started testing it didn’t take long to realize it was not leather.

2 Likes

Very useful. Thank you.

3 Likes

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing! I obsessively visit our local thrift stores for leather coats and purses and also beautiful wool clothing. (I also have a thing for belts of all types too…) I’ve picked up a few leather gems, but also was fooled a few times too. I pretty much learned anything made in China that was labeled as leather was likely to have a paper-thin “leather” veneer at best.

Now, don’t be like my husband and ask me to explain exactly what I will be doing with all my thrift store hoards. I don’t quite know yet, but I’ll come up with something :wink: I found this beautiful wool jacket the other day and was all set to turn it into a purse. I tried it on at home only to find it fits and now I don’t want to cut it up lol.

7 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been meaning to get some secondhand wool sweaters and turn them into tiny doll sweaters by putting them through the washer and dryer. Just for the fun of it.

3 Likes

Years ago I found this round rug made out of recycled leather belts I think on design*sponge. I thought it looked super cool and saved the picture, but never got around to finding the belts to recreate it!

Your jacket made me think of these pillows that I also saved a long time ago (and no longer remember where I found them):

18 Likes

Those pillows are awesome! I love that they left the buttons and lapels as part of the design. I use the old coats to make purses and try to use the ready-made pickets somehow. I really like these pillows though. Now even more excuse to hoard wool jackets. My husband thanks you (not really lol)

4 Likes

I think nearly all of us Glowfolk are enablers, haha. :wink:

4 Likes