GF Network Card Testing

Hello. I have been digging through the posts about how to address Offline problems. My GF is in a library with an iMac tether for its wifi. No other device can access the connection. Its strictly tied to the GF. We are in a constant loop of going Offline when we set up projects. Sometimes we get a Safari Needs Updating. We have updated every browser and the Mac is on Mojave. sigh

Is there a way to check the network card in the GF? My IT group on campus has done everything possible. Help please? Tired of turning students away that cant complete projects. :slight_smile:

I would be much more inclined to believe it’s the imac than the glowforge. I am not familiar with using an “imac tether” for wifi access. I assume that means the imac is acting as an access point and has a wired (or other wifi) connection for it’s external access to the internet. It could be the imac putting it’s wifi to sleep when idle or who knows what else could be happening there. I would certainly find yourself an ACTUAL wifi access point and try that as a first step.

1 Like

The iMac is wired and is the access point for connection. We made sure that the device never sleeps or goes idle. IT set a specific IP for the access point that cannot be accessed by any other user/device.

Thanks for responding Kanati! :slight_smile:

Either way you really need to eliminate the imac as the culprit by getting an actual AP in the mix and turning off the imac wifi. It may well not be the problem, but until you eliminate it, there will always be that possibility. Fingers crossed you find the problem.

2 Likes

that will be my next move then. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for the help @kanati. That’s right! The next step would be to eliminate the iMac tether as the issue. There’s another test you can run that can help narrow down the issue, by connecting directly to a mobile hotspot. For some background:

Your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet you are using to print.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out Wi-Fi interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

@mprice3, I just extracted the logs from your Glowforge to see whether you’re able to maintain a stable Wi-Fi connection, and it looks like your Glowforge is connected and you’ve been able to print since contacting us. That’s wonderful!

Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing any problems? We’re here to help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.