GF "Offline" every time I open app, even after restarting GF, laptop, and wifi

From what I’ve found in other discussions, “Offline” stems from a wifi problem.

I’ve restarted the GF Pro.

I’ve restarted my laptop.

I’ve restarted my wifi router.

Sometimes it works, but just about every time I start my GF again, it reads as “Offline”. This is a new problem, and it’s costing me a lot of time.

I’ve been semi-annoyed to learn that the GF would not operate without an internet connection since I bought mine, and have remained skeptical about the reasons for this (doing an occasional offline software update would not be a big deal), and this really strengthens that annoyance.

Would love to find a long-term solution for this. Thank you!

There are many other threads about “Offline” that include checking your network settings–namely the channel–had offline issues over a year ago & changing my channel to 9, and then to 11, and I’ve not had an issue with that since. And of course verify you have the GF on 2.4gHz band, it won’t operate on 5gHz. (I don’t trust “band steering” either, but others say it shouldn’t be a factor).

3 Likes

Were you able to fix the offline

Have you tried using your phone hotspot? Many report they can successfully use their phone if they are otherwise having WiFi problems. If that works, you could use that in the short term before delving deeper.

I’m so sorry you are having trouble with you Glowforge remaining connected.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

How can I change whether my GF is running on a 2.4 GHz band?

Typically, powering down my laptop and router and restarting works. It’s just annoying that it seems I have to do this nearly every time I use my GF now…I haven’t had to do this at all my first 18 months of owning and using it, and can’t tell why it’s doing it now.

Thanks for following up. The Glowforge only uses the 2.4GHz band to connect. It cannot connect on a 5GHz band.

I’d like just a couple more details so I can keep investigating the problem you’re reporting. Could you please let me know the brand and model of the router/access point you’re using for your Wi-Fi network? Thanks!

Hi Betty,
Yes, after changing channel the second time, within a day of the first change, I’ve not had an issue with being Offline (when my unit is not intentionally turned off) for nearly 1 1/2 years…

It’s been a while since I’ve heard from you, so I wanted to check in one more time before closing this thread. Were you able to resolve the issue? If not, could you please let me know the brand and model of the router/access point you’re using for your Wi-Fi network? Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.