GFUG (Glowforge User's Group) gatherings

I’m totally down with participating and even helping with a Deep south GFUG. Looks like Atl would be a good place as that is a hot spot for owners.

1 Like

Any other Maryland, or Northern Virginia folks?

As found at Glowforge Map, North America shows this:

Now this is only self reporting owners (not from Glowforge staff or company).

Areas link the NorthEast show:

You can zoom in to get a better visual at the Glowforge Map link. You are not required to login (unless you want to add your location).

TIP: Don’t use your specific address (if you add yourself), but maybe the closest major or secondary intersecting streets.

2 Likes

I am in MD - Laurel

1 Like

I’m in Lanham, I’m hoping that a number of us in the MD/NOVA area might be able to get together after we get our GF and compare notes, tips, tricks, and ideas.

Certainly it would be a great idea to have local resources that you can rely on - I am sure the forums will be a great source of information, but its always better when someone can show you what you need in person

3 Likes

I’m game for a West Coast, or possibly Pacific Northwest one!

2 Likes

I’m down for a Seattle area meetup!

2 Likes

I’m sad that there’s only a few handfuls of Canadian registered owners, but at least I can say I recognize 5-6 outstanding VIP handles in the list.

Canada: come for the open wilderness, cringe at the costs of airfare. :laughing:

5 Likes

I had noticed that across all of Canada (except in the very SouthWest corner), GF owners were very far and few between.

I lived in New Carrollton, Riverdale, and Greenbelt.
Alas- now I am in Utah and the drive would be a bit long.
I used to get chinese from a sub shop in Lanham.

1 Like

Yeah, cultural population density at work. Totally doesn’t surprise me. Ontario (and eastward) were the founding provinces, after all. Also doesn’t surprise me that Vancouver is quite Glowforge-rich.

1 Like

Is it that technology companies in the NorthWest US and the entertainment industry are very popular in SouthWest Canada?

Pardon my cultural understandings of the diversity in Canada. :books:

That’s as good a reason as anything.

• Vancouver is commonly considered one of the best places in the world to live. The natural splendor of the country in that area is just plain beautiful, but it’s also a very major seaport for stuff coming in. Cost of living can be very high, though.
  • Toronto is the most populous Canadian city. Also a major import/export city, and of course, fashion city.
  • Winnipeg is pretty much smack in the middle of the country, which makes it good for transport to both ends of the country. My understanding is that’s why it’s so attractive for business. I’ve never lived there, so I can’t comment much about life there.
  • Just outside of Edmonton was where they first found significant oil in Alberta, which pretty much turned the provincial path from farming into a resource province within a few decades, if not years (this was 1947).
  • Calgary got popular because it looked nicer than Edmonton, was closer to the US border, and so a bunch of companies moved or set up their head offices there. Calgary used to be mostly cowboys. They have tasty steak, but their hockey team sucks.

That last point may or may not be true. Edmonton and Calgary have a friendly but bitter rivalry. :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah, everyone knows the steaks in Edmonton are better :wink:

2 Likes

Tell me about it. It’s cheaper for me to fly to Greenland than Vancouver. lol

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll bite…

Greenland is calling why? :confounded:

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel for ya. Winnipeg really hasn’t focused on being an airline hub. I think the only reason Edmonton and Calgary gets off so cheap is because airlines like having a hub near where they can get a good supply of jet fuel. lol

But hey, you can always hop on a train! :smiley:

Haha, yeah, I thought things were gonna change after we got our new airport… But alas…

1 Like

No argument this year about the Flames!

1 Like