Gift Box for LED Base and Edge-Lit Acrylic

You know you’re a Glowforge owner when you spend five times as long building a gift box as you spent on the gift!

This is the gift box for my friend’s edge-lit acrylic present. The case is 12 " x 6.5" x 2.5".

I got adventurous on this project and incorporated a few features I don’t normally use, notably the inlays. The frame is MDF and cherry, with a black acrylic facade. The name is cherry inlaid into the acrylic plate on top, all kerf-adjusted for a very tight fit.

The box is sealed with a strong magnetic latch, and the “sword” key that slides through the latch and fits snugly over the sides. I used two pairs of 5/16" x 1/8" neodymium magnets, which were a bit stronger than I expected. The magnets are exposed on the back, but I could easily have sandwiched them between two layers of 1/8" wood and still had a strong grip.

Inside the box are the LED base, remote, USB cable, and the acrylic plates (swaddled in tissue paper for safe shipping).

And with that, the gift is complete and goes in the mail. Whew!

47 Likes

This is beautiful and functional storage for the acrylic plates he isn’t using. You did a great job on fitting the inlays. Thanks for the inspiring share.

5 Likes

Those inlays are amazing!

5 Likes

Beautiful work. Again, you have a lucky friend.

8 Likes

Stunning!

4 Likes

Either the box or the edge lights alone would be great gifts to recieve!

8 Likes

Thanks! The inlays are new to me, but I think I’ll be using them more often. The magnetic closure, too! That click is so satisfying. :grin:

6 Likes

Step one.
This is a great box! Triple layer!

4 Likes

I like the look of this. The black acrylic looks to have a leather like texture. I thought it was leather. Where are the magnets?

3 Likes

That is one gorgeous box, and definitely worthy of your edge lit acrylic piece. Your friend will be thrilled.

5 Likes

The acrylic is smooth and mirror black; the texture is just the reflection of the stucco ceiling.
Two magnets are in the latchplate, and two are embedded in the frame.

9 Likes

That is a very elegant solution

3 Likes

Your inlay is spectacular! An incredible gift!

2 Likes

That was a funny illusion! It totally looked textured.

I love your gift box!

3 Likes

What a clever way to combine materials and make a beautiful box. Yep. The giving is greater than the gift!

3 Likes

Could’ve fooled me. Never thought of a reflection

1 Like