Glass Tile Photo Engrave

So, I was in my local Lowe’s for another reason, and spoke to the flooring guy. They had 115 of these tiles, on the loading dock to be returned to the manufacturer, discontinued. I told him I would take them all, got a 90% discount, plus my military/veteran discount on top of that.
My experiment on the first one was that once it sublimates (or whatever it is doing) there is a limit to how dark it will go on the front. I did one pass that still looked kinda greyish from the front, so I slowed it down. Second pass, didn’t change the appearance, at least not that I could tell. It has been a while since I had my eyes calibrated.
However, I am stoked to make more of these things! Thank you for throwing this out there for us. Great Inspiration!

5 Likes

Congrats on getting a great deal!

I think with this material, we need to go in the other direction. Less power and faster.

I need to get more to test.

1 Like

Did you do any masking?

None. It comes with some coating that I can’t laser off. It just darkens like photographic paper.

Did you figure out the settings to make the picture more clear on the front? I love the San Francisco bridge tile.

I haven’t, but I was going to start off with these suggested settings.

1 Like

This is beautiful! Did you Mask over the paint or would masking reduce the coating reaction to create the effect?

These glass tiles seem to have their own coating. I tried fingernail polish remover and it had no effect. I think it is best just to leave it as is. I would treat it like a black and white negative. Convert your artwork to halftone and laser it.