Glowforge cleaning outside

Can I do the advanced cleaning of the exhaust fan inside? I am not able to take the GF outside and have Wi-fi.

My GF is next to large windows. According to the support directions there will be smoke.

For the last week the sound from the GF has dramatically increased and after researching in the community I believe my fan needs the advanced cleaning.

The spray they recommend needs to dissipate - so yes, but with major cautions about wearing masks and keeping pets/family far away?

There is a more complicated, but less lung threatening way to clean if you want to see if that looks to be of interest…

(she also links to the official instructions in that thread so you can compare/contrast)

2 Likes

Earlier I read Jules post and after reading it ---- I decided to clean the fan using the official GF method. I would be absolutely terrified to get into the bowels of the GF.

It’s not that bad. See… I’m still completely sane. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

As far as what you can reach (with the machine turned off), the biggest danger is dislocating a shoulder due to the contortions you have to perform to get back there. It’s a pain, but with determination and patience it’s not beyond your ability

That cleaner will evaporate quickly (fumes), but if you are vented outside you shouldn’t have to move the machine.

I had that exact problem. It was very strange, fine that evening but when I turned it on the next day there was this terrible vibration.
In a situation of a build-up deposit, it is subtle and progressive but this was a sudden change. I still haven’t figured that one out yet. I was quite sure the fan bearing was bad so I pulled the fan out and cleaned it. After cleaning the fan the bearing still felt tight so I reinstalled it and the machine was normal. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Get that fan clean and you’ll be back on your wheels. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Earlier when I read your post and saw the pictures I immediately thought “Only a cardiovascular surgeon could operate on the GF. “ So here you are always helping this community and probably has a day job as a surgeon.

1 Like

Thank you so very much for your post. Your encouraging words has given my the confidence to face this daunting task. I ordered the cleaner and it should be here next week. Amazon had a wait time of a few weeks.

My GF is vented to the window. Do I keep the vent on the GF while I go through the process?

2 Likes

Yes, you want the fumes to vent outside.

Be careful ordering this on amazon. the default is $45 ($27 on Digikey) and delivery is very slow. Even including shipping it is a lot less on Digikey.

2 Likes

I did order from Digikey. Guaranteed Fedex 3 day delivery. $27 on Digikey . Shipping I believe was $8 and they even charged tax.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you would like to clean your exhaust fan.

The degreaser manufacturer recommends that you avoid breathing in dust, fume, gas, mist, vapors or spray and use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. We recommend cleaning outdoors because we can’t advise on whether or not a given indoor space is sufficiently well ventilated. However, you may be able to make that determination for yourself. You can find complete information on the product including the Safety Data Sheet here. You can go here for reference and when you’re ready to clean your fan.

Let us know if you have any questions.

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.

I have not received the 3M product. I will proceed with the advanced cleaning after it arrives.

1 Like

I see you went through the fan cleaning procedure, has that resolved the issue with the louder noise that you were hearing?

Yes!!! I did have a slight problem after it was finished. The laser beam arm would not move back. Then there was another issue when I went into the GF software to print. It was stuck on one of those focusing, centering, etc issues. Everything was resolved after I turned off the machine a couple of times and cleared my Internet cache. One thing I forgot to mention. I physically pushed back my laser beam arm.

Hi @JimmyWayneWestie,

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like