Glowforge Cooling Down Repeatedly

Hi!
My Glow forge keeps entering the cool down cycle every few minutes and the cool down period lasts for several minutes. The ambient temperature in the room is 68. I’m not sure why it keeps doing this. Any ideas?

Do you have any sort of filter attached to your vent hose?

I have an inline fan attached to it

Check carefully that your exhaust system is clear and that your air intake vent is not blocked.

3 Likes

I have a growhouse filter attached to my vent hose and when the filter is full and plugged up, the air has no where to go, which causes the machine to get warmer and have excessive cooldowns. Its how I know its time to replace my filter.

When I read your problem that was the first thing I thought of.

The second would be detaching your vent hose from the back of the machine and cleaning out the vent port and checking your fan. Your inline fan might have excessive buildup and not running as efficiently as it normally does.

6 Likes

Hi @susiedoll1185 my name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge.

@MorningstarMSI gave some great advice as well and I would suggest checking to see if your vent is going to a window with a screen or other obstruction that could have caught dust and debris and filled up.

Could I have you try the following and let me know how it goes? Feel free to send some photos of your exhaust setup as well if you would like.

Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to be used when the temperature next to your Glowforge is between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). To check, put a room thermometer next to the right-hand side of the Glowforge; it draws in air from underneath, on the right.

You can try any of these things to improve warm-weather performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge, and ensure that there is no fabric or other flexible material underneath it, like a tablecloth. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it makes cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge when you are not using it. When your Glowforge sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up

• Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. It’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it needs to pause to cool down during the print!

• Ensure that the sun isn’t shining on the lid. This could cause the inside of your Glowforge to heat up.

• If you are venting outdoors, ensure that extreme temperatures or humidity do not enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

• Turn your Glowforge off and open the lid for a few minutes before trying again. It’s possible for the air in your Glowforge to heat up, just like a car in the sun on a hot day, opening the lid will help that warm air to escape and your Glowforge to cool down.

If you are still running into trouble, please let us know the following so that we can investigate further:

1. A description of the things you tried and what happened

2. If possible, place a thermometer next to your Glowforge on the right hand side and measure the temperature there; if not, estimate the room temperature

3. The date and time (including time zone) when you had the problem

4. Take a picture of the exhaust hose behind your Glowforge that includes the part where it connects to your Glowforge, and the part where it exits the room

Let me know how trying these steps goes for you!

Hi @susiedoll1185 It was a pleasure getting to speak with you over the phone. I will go ahead and close this ticket to mitigate any confusion. I sent you a follow up email as well in case you need anything else. Thank you!