Glowforge discount ending & $45M in sales

I had planned on putting it on a castering table so I could roll it away from the wall and rotate it (the filter helps that process be viable).

But with the pretty limited usability of the feature (1/4" material) it’s no longer anything I expect to use until after my warranty is up and I can modify the case. Then I’ll move it to a castering table with outfeed rollers that I can move into place to rest the material on going in & out.

2 Likes

My current setup with the GF will be a corner desk setup with the GF on the right most “wing” with enough clearance between it and the wall to get the hose to go out the nearby window.

When I “dream” about how I could change my setup to accommodate the pro, that right wing would be on casters, and be able to roll out into the room. I could then flip up the "backside table that would have the necessary pieces to make it rise up to also act as the outfeed table. While it’s doable, it’s not the most practical for my purposes, and with a YOUNG child at home, the table would end up being rolled around just for “fun” and Daddy’s heart would be in his throat watching the GF wheel across the room before he could stop it… (19months old and already has grasped the concept of unlocking caster wheels to make things move)

7 Likes

Oooo…that’s good :grinning:

4 Likes

The big reason I went for the pro is the better optics’s and more power, not so much for the pass-through but on occasion when and if it is needed it will be there. :slightly_smiling_face: If they made a pro without the pass-through I would have bought one.

5 Likes

That’s why I haven’t downgraded. But I have a 60W with a pass through - drops the whole front & back - and it’s handy. Especially for things like fabrics where I can do more than just an 18x24" piece (the 24" is the wide dimension of the table/slot).

The GF’s thickness limit (combined with the lack of real Z axis capacity) makes it a pretty irrelevant feature for me.

1 Like

This was exactly my motivation as well.

I find it ever so curious that we have only heard the tiniest peep about any aspect of the progress of the development of the Pro (speaking of hardware only here). I think dan showed a pic of the front or back slot panel sitting on a desk. Not a “wow, look at the Pro beside the Basic and how much faster it is” or “the results from the superior optics are incredible” or “whatever”. Maybe I just missed those posts, or maybe I’m just one of those gremlins in the wings I’ve been reading so much about lately. 86 days to the next drop dead date. . . Colour me anxious, and not the type of anxious treated by a California high (yes, right, high pressure weather high). :wink:

6 Likes

Im kinda in the same boat. I would feel much more relieved if i saw any kind of progress on the pass through slot.

3 Likes

I know with the focus on getting the Basic right and then paying attention to the Pro-specific stuff we can’t expect a ton of info (most of the Pro is the Basic so they do need to get the Basic right) but at this point they’re the same amount of time away from having to deliver Pro units as Basic ones unless they come back with an update that says this year’s deliveries will only be Basics and Pros will have to wait until spring. Or Pros will ship too but with only Basic capability.

Regardless, not a lot of time left for either to make the December promise.

3 Likes

This is absolutely what I expect will happen. You get the pro-power, but just the basic functionality. Unless I’m forgetting something, the only “feature” Pro has that the Basic doesn’t is the pass-through.

(yes, higher power, better optics, better hardware, etc… I’m talking about software features)

1 Like

You have an engineer on your hands. Feed that intellect!

2 Likes

Yep yep! I’m an engineer as well (by trade and by hobby) and I fully intend to assist her development into an engineer who not only looks at the world in wonder and curiosity, but has the skills to figure it out and do something about it. (Spontaneous inventing of toys and tools is a great start, imagination is essential)

7 Likes

Clueless newb parents that we were, we put a cupcake with a single lit candle on his high chair tray on his first birthday…
He just leaned in to peer closely at the flame, never attempting to touch it.
I knew he was to be an engineer right there.

Metallurgical and materials engineer, with honors from Colorado School of Mines.
He showed Dad how it’s done. :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Yeh it’s starting to feel the same as it did in May before they announced they would miss the June ship date. Not seeing any progress of features at Maker Faire really has me wondering what functionality they plan on shipping in December if anything. Also dangling the pre-order discount pass the deadline makes you loose a bit of trust.

I like to respectfully ask:
Can we see the passthrough in action? how about 3D engraving? I saw the Macbook on display, can you throw another one in and film it for us?

7 Likes

Going, going, gone.

7 Likes

why such a large increase difference between the Pro and basic with filter? Pro goes up $1200 but the basic only $750

I’d imagine that it’s because the discount is a dissolving percentage - the pro is more expensive so the corresponding decrease in % off equates to more dollars in the price increase.

2 Likes

Not sure. Does the referral system still work ?

Man it’s great to know that’s most gigantic multi billion corporations will be in the same market that I’m trying to get to , (NOT).I hope it doesn’t sit on my desk and collect dust ,thanks to the tech monopoly out there .

1 Like

What market is that?

Laser cutting man , come on … go on and compete with a basic printer against companies with 3-5 pro versions of it … :wink: Not impossible , just a little challenging don’t you think ?