Glowforge Handle Fail

The adhesive holding the handle to the lid failed during shipping. I had to take a morning off from work just to pick it up. The way I see it, whatever adhesive was used to bond the stainless steel just isn’t up to the task–all the adhesive is on the lid side, no the handle side. Does anyone know if this can be repaired with some better adhesive?

Ouch… Thanks UPS for your gentle handling…

1 Like

While I have seen this happen, both of the units I have had had the handle securely attached. I don’t think it is the adhesive. It may have been rough handling during shipping or improperly applied adhesive, but the adhesive itself is not the issue.

2 Likes

99% sure that’s gonna be a warrenty return right there.

3 Likes

I swear that the more fragile stickers you put on the UPS box, the rougher they handle it. Incidentally, it did come with one of the white handles missing and the tape was partially torn. Still it’s pretty clear that the adhesion to the stainless steel isn’t great–there wasn’t any adhesive on the stainless steel side–it was a clean break.

I couldn’t bring myself to take another morning off from work and drag another giant box back home again, but fortunately, I do have some professional experience with adhesives. For large flat surfaces, a good pressure sensitive adhesive can work great; so far, 3M VHB transfer adhesive seems to be doing the job.

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.