Glowforge Interface - Using the Trace Tool 🤔

Those would be located in the Beyond the Manual section – it’s the only place where non-PG settings can be discussed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, is there a way to save the scanned images? I just used the trace to scan a flat shelf bracket to cut a replacement for a missing one. I may need to use the scan in the future and don’t want to take the shelf apart to get to a bracket.

BTW, I sat an LED light on the lid above the image and got a much better scan. Otherwise, it was unusable with the GF lights only. Was able to clean it up to only clean cut lines.

The scan saves in your Dashboard I believe. Double check that before you assemble the shelf.

I’ve had great luck scanning things with my phone and brining them into my graphics program (in my case illustrator) if I need to replicate them. This might be something you want to look into that gives you more flexibility than the GF scan feature. You can then make any changes you want in your program, add engraving, etc.

1 Like

The trace feature is not designed for tracing physical objects for cutting. It is designed to copy simple artwork, like kids sketches, for engraving onto other things - as shown in the tutorial on using trace, and also the original post in this thread.

1 Like

I have a solid black design on a white background and whenever I try to use the trace tool, it leaves out sections of my design. Any suggestions?

You can try using the CTRL/CMD keys with the Up and Down arrows on the keyboard to change the pickup.

If the outline is set to cut and not engrave, it should show only the outline.

@Jules
Every single time I see one of your tutorial posts —- I instantly turn into Tina Turner and start singing

You’re simply the best, better than all the rest

2 Likes

Awwwright! :smile: :+1:
(The best at what has yet to be determined though!) :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @Jules. i ‘read’ the manual and maybe because i’ve used it a bit now, this makes so much sense and you’ve provided info i don’t remember learning!

Along those lines, when you import i.e. a graphic… a pattern that is in a square shape and you want to print it but want it printed in a circle so you use the shapes circle for the cut. Is there a way to delete the ‘extra’ part of the graphic you don’t need to cut or does that all need to be done in a design software?

Thanks!

I just leave it on there…it does bleed outside of the lines a bit, but it’s easier than trying to trim it in a weird shape.

(You would need to create a mask and then rasterize it with the original graphic if you want to actually change the shape, so that has to happen in outside software.)

That’s what i figured but since you can delete with the scan tool, thought i’d ask:-)

I scanned a handprint and saved as an svg file. How can I clean up the file? Nothing will let me in software like Inkscape, etc.

Your best bet is to save that as a .png file and open it in a raster editor (GIMP, Photoshop, GetPaint.net). Inkscape will open the .svg container just fine, but it’s designed to work on vectors, and only has limited editing ability for rasters (which the scan will be).
If you don’t have the ability to change it, you can open it Inkscape, and then in the File menu click Export PNG - you’ll then have a .png in the same folder you have the .svg saved in (with a name something like “Exported Image”)

2 Likes

I don’t have a trace feature. Should I upgrade to premium to have it?

No, it is not a Premium feature. In the app.Glowforge.com app, when you click Create do you not get the option "“Capture from camera”? That is the trace function.

Oh I see it now! Thank you!

1 Like

I’m using an IPad and my problem is I can’t get a virtual keyboard on the screen to do the commands. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

On my phone, I select a design element with a press and hold, then choose the operation from the flyout menu (group, ungroup,copy etc.). I am not certain the interface allows for a virtual keyboard.

1 Like