Glowforge Interface - Using the Trace Tool šŸ¤”

If the outline is set to cut and not engrave, it should show only the outline.

@Jules
Every single time I see one of your tutorial posts ā€”- I instantly turn into Tina Turner and start singing

Youā€™re simply the best, better than all the rest

2 Likes

Awwwright! :smile: :+1:
(The best at what has yet to be determined though!) :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @Jules. i ā€˜readā€™ the manual and maybe because iā€™ve used it a bit now, this makes so much sense and youā€™ve provided info i donā€™t remember learning!

Along those lines, when you import i.e. a graphicā€¦ a pattern that is in a square shape and you want to print it but want it printed in a circle so you use the shapes circle for the cut. Is there a way to delete the ā€˜extraā€™ part of the graphic you donā€™t need to cut or does that all need to be done in a design software?

Thanks!

I just leave it on thereā€¦it does bleed outside of the lines a bit, but itā€™s easier than trying to trim it in a weird shape.

(You would need to create a mask and then rasterize it with the original graphic if you want to actually change the shape, so that has to happen in outside software.)

Thatā€™s what i figured but since you can delete with the scan tool, thought iā€™d ask:-)

I scanned a handprint and saved as an svg file. How can I clean up the file? Nothing will let me in software like Inkscape, etc.

Your best bet is to save that as a .png file and open it in a raster editor (GIMP, Photoshop, GetPaint.net). Inkscape will open the .svg container just fine, but itā€™s designed to work on vectors, and only has limited editing ability for rasters (which the scan will be).
If you donā€™t have the ability to change it, you can open it Inkscape, and then in the File menu click Export PNG - youā€™ll then have a .png in the same folder you have the .svg saved in (with a name something like ā€œExported Imageā€)

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a trace feature. Should I upgrade to premium to have it?

No, it is not a Premium feature. In the app.Glowforge.com app, when you click Create do you not get the option "ā€œCapture from cameraā€? That is the trace function.

Oh I see it now! Thank you!

1 Like

Iā€™m using an IPad and my problem is I canā€™t get a virtual keyboard on the screen to do the commands. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

On my phone, I select a design element with a press and hold, then choose the operation from the flyout menu (group, ungroup,copy etc.). I am not certain the interface allows for a virtual keyboard.

1 Like