Glowforge not calibrating and stuck on centering

So… I got my glowforge last week and I still haven’t been able to use it because it’s just been stuck in centering. They told me it’s because if the @black strip" but even after replacing it, it’s still not working. The printer head is not moving. I’m guessing it’s supposed to…when you turn it on? Anyone else have problem with their machines? I’m wondering if it’s going to have a lot of problems in the future and should get different brand.

Just for your information, when you open a topic under “Problems and Support” you also open a new trouble ticket with Glowforge. When you have multiple trouble tickets it delays their response as they have to sort through what is old and what is new. In the future, if you are emailing them you may consider not posting in this area of the forum to make sure that your tickets are not delayed.

Yes, other users have had problems with their machines, including me. However, GF has been very responsive and has gone above and beyond what many companies offer for support, repairing and replacing machines as quickly as they can. Problems are going to happen. No one makes a electromechanical system that doesn’t have problems. You bought a laser cutter that is pushing the envelope in several areas and GF is doing very well in keeping up support and forward progress.

If you feel you should go with another brand that is your choice, but I would look into the support you get from those other brands and how their user interface works before making the change. You may find they have just as many problems with their machines and their interfaces may not be as user friendly for you.

2 Likes

Sorry for your problems, but for what it’s worth, I have been using my machine for over a year now and zero problems. Before I got mine, I used a pre-release unit for about 8 months, zero problems.
Our forum here is the official support, so if you frequent this place you will see a lot of the problem reports. I have to admire a company that does its laundry in public, but without knowing how many machines have been delivered, the number of problem reports can skew our perception.
If we knew there were 20 plus thousand machines out there, that would go a long way toward putting things in perspective.

For the money, your skepticism is understandable and warranted, I have had zero issues, but there are a few who have had as many as four machines. Because of my personal experience I have a lot of faith in the glowforge, and the performance of the company in dealing with issues strengthens my belief, but that’s a call you have to make.

One thing I am sure of, is that one way or another support will get you taken care of.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear your Glowforge was damaged in shipping. I’ll send an email shortly to arrange a replacement.