Glowforge not cutting accurately

Hello. My glowforge is not cutting perfect circles. Everything I cut is "off. " Earlier, I tried scoring text and the fonts, especially the circles and letter a were off.

In this photo, you can see how wonky the circle and x’s are in the scoring and cutting test.

When the machine is off, it seems that the arm that runs from left to right is not even. What can I do about this?

Check your carriage wheels, rails, and belts. Might just be debris on the rails or belts, or you might have a cracked wheel.

1 Like

If the laser arm is crooked, you will need to push it back into “square” while the machine is turned off. Here’s a guide to that:

If it becomes crooked again, you may have a loose belt or some other kind of damage to check for like @geek2nurse said. Here’s a quick guide to checking and adjusting the belt tension if you find either side is looser than the other:

3 Likes

I notice a belt on either side of the carriage. when the machine is off, and I manually move the arm front to back, the right belt moves, but the left doesn’t. Is this normal?

No, they should both move.

oh, wow… what can I do about that? That is very disheartening because I have never noticed the belts’ movement before. What is the cause, do you know?

Does that mean the belt may be loose or too tight, on the left, if it is not moving with manual manipulation of the laser arm?

I’m not really sure. Press down on it with your finger, then press the other side and see if they feel different to you.

thank you, I will try it.

1 Like

I’m mostly deaf, so I can’t be sure, but I’m told that if you pluck the belt like a guitar string they should both sound the same…

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble you have been experiencing. As @geek2nurse outlined, the trouble may be with the tension on the side belts of your Glowforge.

It looks like your side belt is loose and will need to be tightened.

We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so you can follow this link for instructions to adjust the tension of the side belt.

Let us know how it goes!

It’s been awhile since we’ve heard from you, would you let us know if adjusting the side belt tension resolved the trouble?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.