Glowforge not cutting through or engraving same depth on right side

I have had my glowforge for less than a month and since the first cut it has not cut all the way through, or engraved the same depth on the right side. I have verified everything is clean, level and ran the alignment test. Even in the test it clearly doesn’t even score the same depth on the right side.

And help, tips or tricks to get this fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Support will see these photos and get back to you. While waiting, the only thing that might help is to clean the window on the left side of the machine and the window on the left side of the printhead. If there happens to be a fingerprint or smudge on either it can degrade the laser beam.

4 Likes

As @dklgood says the only difference in power possible is the change in distance between those two windows. The very slightest film on the one under the left side will cause that difference to show up. Depending on what you are cutting and luck that the window gets a faceful of smoke a single cut can do it. The good news (sort of) is that the problem is diagnostic to a problem with that window.

1 Like

Thank you, it must be the picture because the window is squeaky clean inside and out. I’ll take better pictures to post.

Take photos of the windows as well and post them here also :slightly_smiling_face: It might be something that has to go to the mothership :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

To be clear they’re talking about the small round yellow window attached to a silver box under the left edge of your machine…not the top window.

1 Like

Misaligned mirrors behind the windows can also be a culprit. The further the distance the worse the alignment becomes and then there isn’t enough laser beam making it to the head to be focused in a usable point.

How do you realign the mirrors?

Unfortunately, that is not something you can do yourself. It generally involves shipping your machine back to Glowforge. You will need to wait on Glowforge support staff to make that diagnosis.

Here are pics of the mirrors. They are clean as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

@GlowforgeStaff

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble @crystal.panunzio.

To help us determine the next steps, could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• The printer head lens

• Both sides of the lens, top, and bottom

• The mirror inside the printer head

• The bottom of the printer head with the lens installed

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with the next steps.

Here are those pictures.

Thank you so much for sending over those photos. After reviewing everything, we’ve determined that your printer has a problem that, sadly, we can’t solve remotely, so we’d like to make a warranty replacement.

I’ll need some personal information from you, so I’ll be reaching out to you via email momentarily.