Glowforge off focus

I placed an object that measured out 2 inches in the glow forge without the tray in the bottom. It engraved a quote just fine about 3 inches down and then all of a suddenly the cross bar shifted and went sideways. I stopped the print as soon as I saw this. when it pulled back to the starting point the cross arm seemed to go back straight and it looked fine. now the printer is off scale a great deal, about a centimeter and it’s causing prints to run off the sides of products instead of printing where it is supposed to. Is there anyway I can fix this?

I would follow the Calibration on a clean material so it resets…

Fantastic. I wouldn’t mind trying it out at all

That usually happens because it hit something.

There is an air duct for the air assist fan that hangs down at the back of the gantry behind the head. That might have hit the material when it had moved far enough.

Two inches might be just a little too tall. My measured limit is actually closer to 1.957". Just enough to make a difference if the object is really 2 inches. You might need to use something just a hair thinner going forward.

2 Likes

Right, I took it apart to be able to just forge on the lid of the box I was trying to engrave, however … it is still helter skelter and off focus. I just don’t know how to get it back to where its supposed to be

The Calibration might reset it, so definitely try that first.

1 Like

so how do I calibrate it other than resetting the focus

Go to this link, read the instructions carefully and follow them to Recalibrate.

https://app.glowforge.com/maintenance/camera-recalibrator

3 Likes

Thank you Jules, I’m doing it now

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @Jules!
Please let us know how things go after running the Recalibrator.

1 Like

Everything seems to be ok! In fact it is more on point than it was before lol thank you @Jules

3 Likes

I am glad to hear that the Camera Recalibrator helped! I am going to close this thread now. If you run into any other trouble, please don’t hesitate to start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com.

Happy Printing!

2 Likes