Glowforge Offline Going on 2nd Day

I’m not able to see the image for some strange reason. Won’t let me select it or download.

“Device error…Restart setup.”

Have never seen that error. Sorry, out of ideas. Support will have to look at your logs.

Similar thoughts. Thanks much!!!

You’re absolutely right. But the whenever I see the suggestion to put the phone in ‘Airplane Mode’ it seems it’s never mentioned that it might be specific to an iDevice or that you might have to turn on WiFi access afterwards. I always look for that because I’m sensitive to the fact that if you followed that suggestion on my cell phone it would only lead to frustration if you don’t know you then have to turn on WiFi.

1 Like

In the interest of thorough and complete instructions, I get what you’re saying. But - one step seems to lead to another because you have to go to WiFi settings regardless to connect to the network broadcast by the Glowforge. If WiFi is off from putting it in airplane mode, it’s going to prompt you or notify you that WiFi is off when you go to find the Glowforge SSID.

I’m so sorry this has been difficult!

The most common reason why this error message is displayed is because your Wi-Fi password was not correct. If you haven’t already, would you please:

1. Click “Restart Setup” and choose your network again
  2. Copy and paste your network’s Wi-Fi password
  • Type your network’s Wi-Fi password in a text editor, like Microsoft Word or Google Docs, then highlight and copy it
  • Watch for common mistakes: substituting zeros for the letter O, extra spaces, and letters that should be capitalized
  • Return to setup and paste the copied Wi-Fi password
  • Check the “Show password” box to make sure that the password is correct
  1. Make sure your password hasn’t been changed
    On your computer, phone, or tablet, disconnect from your Wi-Fi network. Reconnect by pasting the same password from the step above. If it does not work, the password is incorrect.
    Ask your family or network manager if someone changed the password
    If you still cannot gain access, reset your password
    Once you’ve confirmed your password, click “Restart Setup” again

If that doesn’t work, could you please let me know, is the network that you’re using 2.4 GHz b/g/n?

1 Like

On an iphone at least, it will remember if when engaging airplane mode, you engaged wifi and/or bluetooth and the next time you engage it, will have it the same way. My 1st job is in a deep basement so i turn on airplane mode to keep it from burning battery looking for cell signals. I also have wifi at work. So after i turned on airplane mode and reenabled wifi several months ago, whenever i use airplane mode, it maintains power to the wifi radio automatically.

1 Like

Rita,

Went through the steps as described and STILL no success. Keep in mind that when I set it up originally, I had no issues. Now, I can’t log onto the WiFi. BTW, I have no idea what 24 ghz b/g/n is.

Ah, our router is 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz

1 Like

Now “Glowforge” will not show up in the list of connections. I tried changing the password. No luck.

1 Like

Mine is the same configuration and I figured out some time ago that when it automatically switches from the 2Ghz to the 5…nothing will happen at all in the UI. So my first place to go when I have a problem is to check which one is operating.

Having the same issue here at our school. Using a unsecured wifi connection and it worked great for a week and then all of a sudden last Wednesday, it quit working. Have tried all the different suggestions listed. Even pinged the machine and it showed up 50 out of 50 times. So it is communicating with the machine but still no luck. Very frustrating.

Sounds like someone is blocking the traffic. Some sniffer found the activity and IT changed rules on the gateway or router to stop it.

Wed is when we push firewall changes too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have tried connecting it to the secure wifi but it comes up with a device error when I do that.

@rmelvin06 I’m sorry this has been difficult. Would you do the following please?

1. Reboot your Glowforge
  2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on screen

If you see “Device Error” or any other error message, and Wi-Fi setup fails, please:

• Reboot your Glowforge once more
  • Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color
  • Connect your computer to the Glowforge Wi-Fi network you see
  • Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/glowforge/zip
  • A .zip file should download to your computer
  • Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com

Please let me know if you run into any difficulty with these steps. Thanks!

1 Like

Rita,

Zipped file attached as requested.

robert

Logs-GYQ-289-20180227-235752 (1).zip (4.29 MB)

Rita,

It must had been the unit. New one arrived today and is working like a champ. Thanks much.

robert

2 Likes

I’m glad you figured it out! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!