Glowforge-optimized Proto-Shield files: COVID-19 face mask design

i just grabbed the dxf files, I will take a crack at making them into GF friendly SVGs. what do you mean by “BIN packed”

2 Likes

Thanks @mark14. By bin-packed, I meant packing as many face shield components as possible onto the GlowForge cutting area. Having the base SVGs would be a great start - especially since I am prototyping with 8.5" x 11" sheets of transparency film for now. Down the road, I expect to have larger sheets of PETG film

headband
face shield

Face shield as single unit. headband packed like sardines but fitting in the cutting area.

4 Likes

This is very helpful - thank you!

I was able to open these without any problems - except that the mask portion of the underlying design is too big for my US Letter sheets of transparency film. Let me try to source some larger plastic sheets!

sorry about the size, it is what it is. Hope you can find some bigger film

what are the setting that you are using for speed and power

Depends on the material. I suggest running some tests plenty of threadsvhere on how to do that.

Deleted.

7 Likes

Yes, they are there (just very tiny thumbnails) and should work fine. Thanks for doing this!

Deleted.

Thank you foxdelta7! I was also able to click on the file next to Image 1. My apologies - this is my first time on this thread. So I should print this file on acrylic (medium clear proofgrade)? And what is the material I can buy online to print for the face part? Sorry to ask - as I know there’s a lot above - but there’s a lot above and I don’t want to get it wrong.

Deleted.

1 Like

Might I suggest modifying the arms to be press-fit with the center piece? They could be separated for cleaning, and many more could be printed from the same sheet of acrylic.

The trick will be preventing stress fractures at the junction as in your first design…

1 Like

One thing to be careful about: the original Verkstan design called for using a hole punch on the transparencies. The circular holes leave an air-transmissible gap that gives access to the wearer’s face that my local hospital complained about. Using rectangular holes helps mitigate this, as well as reducing the tabs to half height relative to the rest of the frame. If you do that, then any residual hole is backed by the plastic of the frame. Not all hospitals seem to care about this, but it seems like a legitimate concern.

1 Like

One thing I just found out is that some transparencies come backed with paper. If they are backed with paper you can cut stacks of transparencies at once without concern about them sticking together. Makes mass production easier. If they aren’t backed you can put paper in between yourself, but it’s a bit more of a pain. I’m doing stacks of 5 transparencies at 350 speed and full power.

Yeah, I really like that idea. The per unit cost is quite high if you can’t pack them.

hello everyone
i have been hoping to help some family nurses and also local hospital. i just received my order of Clear Plastic Sheet 0.020 12x12 Petg would your files work with this.? Trying to also have a glowforge only design i do not have access to a 3D printer,
thanks

For increased user-friendliness, it might be worth considering marking the headpiece and the shields that go with it using a matching symbol or annotation of some sort.

That might head off some frustration if things are not kept perfectly coordinated during logistics.

Probably best not to engrave on the shields but, maybe a stamp with indelible ink, a small sticker, a sharpie mark or something.

For bonus points, a standard mark for a given design/version might be useful to match parts made by different makers.

Just a random Sunday thought …

1 Like

Deleted.

I used the 3dVerkstan design for 3D printing but I realized the design lends itself to be laser cut instead (<5 mins per mask versus the 3 hours for 2 I was printing). I brought it to work and the company president immediately directed us to use our company laser (MAZAK 44) to make 1000 masks for the employees and local hospitals and clinics. We cut it out of .2" acrylic (Plexiglas) and they worked very well.

I just received my Glowforge and printed my first tutorial sample today (measuring device). I could use a tutorial on manually cutting cast acrylic of .2" and also the transparency films so I could continue to make these faster.