GLOWFORGE please acknowledge that your servers go offline at times

You would have to be using your Glowforge in that window of time when it goes off line and were talking about a window of 15 to 30 minutes, We run the glowforge jobs for 12 hours at a time so I see and experience every job that has to be put on hold ?

Again, I am trying to get some understanding from glowforge as to why this happens .

Glowforge does have a scheduled maintenance outage listed for tomorrow night, so if you want to see the server status…you can always check the status page…

There is also a way to prove to yourselves definitively that it is WiFi related, and not Glowforge related…

Buy a Vector. (The cute little robot thing. They are fun little critters.) :hugs:

Long story very short - back around Christmas about three years back I was gearing up to do some filter testing and I got the dreaded “Stuck Offline” condition. Ran through the usual cleaning, turning off, resetting of machine, computer and router.

No joy.

Finally decided it was WiFi related (we were having some punky weather at the time) and just figured I’d play with Vector while I was waiting for everything to get back up to speed. Turned him on and set him down. Sure enough he took off and did his thing…then he stopped, beeped, flashed the icon below a couple of times, shook himself off and kept on going.

wifi%20connection%20symbol

Physical proof of a sketchy WiFi connection!

Apparently they both run off the same 2.4 GHz channel.
Once he settled down, I turned on the Glowforge and it ran through it’s startup routine without a glitch.

What are the odds? :smile::squeeee::squeeee::squeeee::squeeee:

So I managed to prove to myself that yes, it actually is one of the WiFi bands. The rest of the internet was working just fine, and nothing else stopped functioning. But a Vector will actually announce it graphically if there’s a problem with WiFi.

Glowforge is telling the truth, it’s not always the servers. ( And if they’re having a server issue, they generally announce it at that link above, so definitely check there first.) :slightly_smiling_face:

of course a whole bunch of people could be having trouble. All that has to occur is that all of the folks are on the same pathway to the servers.

1 Like

I had no intention of running mine 12 hours continuously. I needed a CO2 laser, but I didn’t have a lot of money. So I bought the cheapest US-made CO2 I could find. And I did that fully realizing that I was buying a Hyundai and not a Rolls Royce. I accepted the fact that it was only available to run over the internet. I didn’t like it, but I decided to live with it. And honestly, mine has been extraordinarily stable … for my needs.

If you needed something with a duty cycle of 12 hours every day, you probably shouldn’t have bought one that is marketed as a “hobby” machine. You should have sprung for the Rolls Royce.

2 Likes

Way to blame people in an owner’s forum? Man
“Get a better laser” isn’t really a solution to this problem.

2 Likes

Neither are unreasonable expectations! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

So what you saying is that Glowforge used the Same cheap parts as they used in that Robot . Now it makes sense , I think as more people come forward , the problem will be recognized .

“You’re having issues, so when you go to a forum to ask for help, so instead I’ll tell you that you shouldn’t have bought this one. Then your issues would go away.”

With those expectations, I’d say that I hope you never have need of a customer service or tech rep. You’d probably ask for service and tell them to get a new job. LOL

2 Likes

I’m not employed by Glowforge customer support. I simply tried, as did many others, to explain to you that we weren’t having the same issues and so it probably wasn’t specifically a Glowforge issue. You refuse to accept that explanation and want to rant and rave and demand an answer that no one, either in the forum or in customer support, can supply you with. So, at this juncture I would suggest prayer. God is solely in charge of miracles. ;oP

Not what I’m saying at all.

I never said you were. I said (politely) that you were being rude to the people on the thread. There’s no need to make comments with no helpful purpose on a support forum.

I personally haven’t “ranted and raved” I’m simply bringing my member base complaints to the threads already started here in the Community forums. Hoping for more answers than just “reboot your router” as that hasn’t worked for days.

As you said, you’re not emplyed by Glowforge customer support, so you shouldn’t make statements of opinion that you expect all others to agree with as fact.

Thankfully, you’re not running my world. I’ll say whatever I please whenever I get ready. And it’s not being “rude” or “opinionated” to remind people that they bought a “hobby” laser. That’s how it’s designed and that’s how it’s marketed.

https://www.amazon.com/Glowforge-Plus-Laser-Printer-Beautiful/dp/B07DD4W8DY

Best of luck to you!

1 Like

HEY EVERYONE TEK104 Want to Announce that we all purchased a Hobby Laser so there fore it should Suck EGGS and we should all be happy.

This lord of the  Glowforge singed up OCT 29 th. if you would like to praise his him for his will to help us all.   LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
1 Like

Wrong. He Joined Oct 29, '20. The 20 on the end is the year.

3 Likes

While that is opinion, when the openglow project was running they determined in their opinion that it was not an expensive WiFi chip. So while probably not “the same”, you may not be far off.

It probably isn’t the servers. Those are run by Google.

Probably isn’t a crappy WiFi network you’re running.

Could just be interference on the same channel on your machines’ section of your WiFi.

This is why a generic, “check your WiFi” is given. A rogue microwave could be running and killing the 2.4ghz channel. Baby monitor. Cordless house phone. Ring devices. Smart tvs. Any of several thousand IoT devices. In your house or a nearby neighbor’s place.

Could be an unhappy switch/router in a substation somewhere dropping a solitary packet on everyone’s data stream in a geographical locale en route to the Google servers.

Early packet sniffing suggested that Glowforge doesn’t use redundant data streams. So if 1 packet gets lost, the entire stream of data fails and has to start over. This is why many of us say, “stable, not fast.”

More often than not it is an environmental issue.

Unless there’s a server issue, or a wifi chip burns out(it’s happened), there’s not much else to point at for the company to do something about except try to figure out what’s in each persons environment.

5 Likes

I said earlier in the thread that I’d had my Glowforge for a little over a year. Apparently you count about as well as you troubleshoot!

And so you know, I’m beyond thrilled with my hobby laser. For my modest needs, it’s been virtually flawless. Of course, I knew what I was getting when I bought it. Good luck with your business-critical (not really) laser!

2 Likes

The Peanut gallery has spoken, its Both my WIFI , one that is with Spectrum and the Fiber Optic Cable WIFI with ATT : UGH

So let me try to figure this out :

Is there anyone that is on the Slow Server on this thread that is having the Glowforge go off line or is it just those on the Premium Server Plan ?

I’m sorry for the ongoing trouble with your Glowforge going offline. I’ll be happy to look into this with you further with the goal of getting your printer to a point where it stays connected consistently.

Regarding Glowforge Premium vs. Glowforge Print
Glowforge Premium should reduce the amount of time it takes between pressing the “Print” button in the app and when the light on your Glowforge flashes and is ready to start the print. For other operations, like refreshing the bed image, the Glowforge centering its head on startup, etc, the way the Glowforge is communicating with our servers is the same for Premium and Print customers. If an issue occurs on our end, it would likely impact Premium and Print customers equally.

A good site to keep an eye on for any reported outages or scheduled maintenance which could impact app performance is our status page.

Additional offline troubleshooting
Since you’ve already run through the steps we would normally suggest as a starting point, I’d like to look into this more deeply with you. While uncommon, there can sometimes be things in the environment around the Glowforge that could be contributing to the printer having an intermittent connection to Wi-Fi. May I please have a few photos showing the surface the Glowforge is set up on, along with a wider view that shows other objects in the room near your Glowforge? If you’d prefer to share the photos privately, you can email them to my attention at support@glowforge.com.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.