Glowforge Plus wont go past centering

I just finished cutting out a few of the sample measuring tools and once the cool down finished I opened the lid and removed the projects. I put in one of the pieces to engrave on the back and it got to the centering step and wont go past it. I have shut it off, unplugged it, made sure the lens’ were clean, restarted it and it still will only go the centering step and stop. I will connect to the software, but the last image is the wood I was using for the previous project. I haven’t had this two weeks and cut out about a dozen projects. After 20 minutes it finally began to print. I finished the back of two pieces and it went back into the stuck on centering mode. Up till now I have been extremely impressed and satisfied. Now frustrated. Please advise what else I need to do.

What is it doing when it’s centering? Is the head still? Is it hunting around?

It is sitting still underneath the camera on the lid.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and I can see that your Glowforge was able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection, which is causing the requests made during the calibration process to time out or expire. You won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message, or failed calibrations.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you. I will try these suggestions and see if they improve the response of the machine.

Still no luck. I upgraded my wifi system and have an excellent signal to the glowforge location. I have gone back to the setup steps and I am not picking up a wifi signal from the glowforge itself. Also, it appears I am having a problem with the on/off switch. I turn it on and nothing comes on. Then I cycle it and it will come on. This has happened a couple times this evening as I tried to get reconnected. Are there different steps to use when hooking up to a new wifi network?

Here’s the support page – the initial setup (new wi-fi network) steps are there, as well as a pretty comprehensive set of wi-fi things in the troubleshooting section. Hope you get it figured out quickly!
https://glowforge.com/support

@vee, PLEASE ask the team to consider putting some kind of signal quality indicator or useful error message into our app. I’ve been here since the beginning, and seen countless users reporting problems like this.

When you know what’s gone wrong, let us know without having to ask, so we have a better chance of helping ourselves.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Albert Einstein

Thanks for all the help. I was able to get everything up and running again. I finally found the step that says to hold the start button until it turns green to broadcast the glowforge wifi in order to set it up on my new home wifi.

Again, all the help has been appreciated.

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!