Glowforge Pro/Basic Maintenance (Over time)

I work with laser measuring devices. We have safety signs which state… “Do Not Stare Into Laser Beam With Remaining Good Eye!”

1 Like

So know we know that it’s not closed loop. It uses the optics for the homing. I believe they said that they use the glowforge logo on the gantry as the ‘target’.

The next question would be- Is that handled locally or via the cloud? That’s an interesting amount of overhead for as simple process of referencing the machine. I get they are trying to reduce the cost of the hardware- but that’s a bit hardcore. But, If it is cloud based, that going to be an interesting curveball for anyone wanting to attempt to take the FW and modify it to operate cloudless. (Here) & (Here) Short of just adding endstops and using a traditional BoB or MCU as the motion contoller of course.

1 Like

So I’ve been hanging out on the facebook page for laser cutters and such…i also own two Universal lasers.
Heres my take on the Glowforge vs chinese lasers.
@dan and team are building you a ready made out of the box piece of equipment that you dont need to tinker with to get it to work. You dont have to build it and besides making sure you have an exhaust setup and the right room temperature…its pretty much plug and play.
This is a high thought out machine that will have amazing integrated software that is built specifically to work with the unit. I dont see it as anything close to the DIY machine you can buy and build. So many problems I see people having setting up those. Ive had my Universal lasers for quite sometime…in 6 years ive not had to replace anything in my newer one and my older one has only needed the piston lid lift thing that keeps the lid open …lol
I wipe down my lasers often to keep the air flow unrestricted…they are in optimal temperature at all times…between 60° and 68°F
I’m expecting a solid machine from Glowforge…
I dont see how @dan would want to put junk out there…I dont know the guy, but he seems to have integrity. I understand why he cant devulge every little detail either…I’m sure there are lurkers that may want to steal ideas etc…sad but true…
Im staying positive…I know its a wait but I really think the Gloworge will be worth it…the whole camera integration and positioning concept is pretty unique and is the main reason I’m purchasing this…

9 Likes