Glowforge PRO - Cooling down

Hi All,

Yesterday after engraving a a frame for an image (basically a square with an handwritten note) my Glowforge Pro got stuck with “Cooling Down message”.

1. The design was pretty simple (IMHO)
  2. The room was cold, I live in Seattle and I have the GF right next to the window therefore I would exclude the environmental factor
  3. Isn’t the GF Pro supposed to not have the cooling down problem at all? (that’s way is so damn expensive XD)

Anyone experienced the same? I found some similar posts in the forum, but mostly related to non-Pro or environmental issues.

Thanks
Vanellope

How cold was the room. Operating temp is generally 60 to 75 degrees

1 Like

I don’t know how many degrees it was. But I can tell you a room, with an open window in Seattle at 10pm. I don’t think I can make it colder.

It sounds like the room temp ,may have been below the minimum operating temp. So perhaps the issue is in the error message. Instead of “cooling down”, maybe it should have said “not warm enough”.

1 Like

No, it will still have temperature problems. It has better cooling than the basic, but better unfortunately doesn’t mean perfect.

The operating range on the pro is still pretty narrow. Too cold or too warm and it will be like ‘no thanks’.

1 Like

There’s a huge amount of wasted space in the GFUI just to tell you the time remaining in the print. Especially for long prints where temperature might be a concern, displaying the machine’s temperature in this box would be a nice (and simple) addition with a lot of utility.

Right now, if you running hot, you don’t know until the machine pauses. If we could tell what the temperature was, we could manage the environment to maximize the machine’s run time, acting as an “organic thermostat” and opening a window or turning on the heat if the temperature was getting close to a limit.

And of course, if the machine says it’s too hot and the room temperature is 50ºF, you instantly know the temperature sensor is busted. There’s no in-the-field “failure analysis” required, with users going through all sorts of “rigamarole” to determine if it really is the machine. All they need is a thermometer and what the GFUI reports the machine is seeing.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about this. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the cooling problems. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.