Glowforge Scanning Issues

My Glowforge is stuck on scanning. Are the updates to the software causing this issue? My machine has been this way off and on all day. I thought it may need to be cleaned so I cleaned it worked for one cut now stuck again. Whats the deal GlowForge. I have customers waiting on product and being the holidays this is not the time for my machine to fail me. I have turned it off and on several times. I have unplugged it, I have checked that they lens is clean. This is NOT a wifi issue. I have shut wifi off on several times and rebooted my machine held down the button etc… but nothing is working. Even when turning of the wifi its still says scanning shouldn’t it switch to offline? I already checked the lens and its in correctly. I have checked the trouble shooting page and did all they advised to do or try.

2 Likes

The only way to rule out WiFi for sure is to set up your GF to connect via a cell phone hotspot and see if that eliminates the issue. There are a whole host of subtleties (even down to a new piece of furniture in the path between the GF and router) that can affect the WiFi signal—Glowforges are really finicky.

Verify your network is dedicated 2.4gHz. (If it’s not, and you can’t set it up as such, call your provider’s support).

I wouldn’t necessarily trust a hot spot connection since you don’t know what bandwidth is being used for data, so it could still have issues operating…

Also clean your computer!! Clear the internet cache and cookies–they can slow things down big-time, and though you may not notice it with other applications, the GF Appis very sensitive for all the information that is being passed back and forth.

You may want to close your browser and reopen it too, I’ve found recently Firefox making a lot of updates, and when it does my GF App is painfully slow (as is the operation to get to the lit button), and after I close & then reopen I get the tab w/ info on the updates and my GF App is fast again. Or even try another browser…

I’m so sorry you hit a snag.

The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.

2. Open the lid.

3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.

2. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

3. Close the lid.

4. Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

Let me know how it goes!

I’ve ensured that all the cables are aligned and the clips are closed. I’m attaching pics of each cable end. None of these have been moved since you sent me the replacement black cable about a year ago. I have done many hundreds of hours of cutting since then. The issue just started occurring this morning. Did a software update go out yesterday?

In the 3 yrs I’ve had a Glowforge I can only recall one software update that wasn’t correct and needed a fix.

I’ve seen hundreds or even thousands of times it’s either the hardware (black cable or something that requires a return to the mothership) or wifi. More often wifi than even hardware.

It’s is extraordinarily unlikely your experience is due to a software update. The lack of tens of thousands of other people with the same problem today makes it even less likely - to the point of being vanishingly small. Buy a lotto ticket if it was because unlikely things happen to you.

More success is likely if you go through the steps to ensure its not wifi connectivity issues while you wait for support to check your machine’s logs to determine if it’s hardware

2 Likes

I went through all the steps to make sure it is not my wifi. Now I’m on my way to grab some lotto tickets.

1 Like

Camillo, P. any suggestions? Now its seems as if its getting stuck on Centering and Scanning. I keep having to turn it off and on just to do a single cut. May you please read the logs and let me know what the problem is.

I was having similar issues this week and it was due to cleaning. I cleaned all the lenses and sensors and everything was back up and running beautifully. Sounds silly but give it a shot if you haven’t yet.

what did you clean your sensors with? Were the sensors you cleaned the ones they are referring to in previous post.

Thank you for checking that out for us. Since everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem. I’d like to send you a replacement for that cable, along with some instructions on how to replace it so we can get you back to printing as quickly as possible.

I’m closing this thread and will follow up with you via email with the next steps.