Glowforge sounds like a bad musical instrument

It just started today. The machine engraved and cuts fine but the sound is different when it moves for cutting.

By posting here you’ve opened a support ticket, is that what you meant to do? If so, you might want to post a video so they can hear the sound it’s making. :slight_smile:

Video posted to youtube and linked since it wouldn’t go through here for some reason

Yeah, that’s how you have to do it.

It sounds totally normal to me. They always “sing” while cutting curves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay was worried as me and the wife never heard it like that since we got it. Good to know.

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds completely normal to me. Anytime it is turning corners and moving in circles that is a completely normal sound.

1 Like

What you are hearing are called “harmonics” and are caused by the stepper motors that move the head and gantry. When you have curves and other shapes that require movement in two directions, both steppers run at the same time. As the steppers change speed to control the movement of the head around the curve, the tone of their activity sound changes, hence the music of the machine.

3 Likes

Good to know. It just threw me an the wife off as we’ve done small cuts like this and never heard of it. Thank you all for the replies.

That is completely normal but it’s usually hard to hear over the fan noise. Has something changed with your ventilation?

3 Likes

Negative. From the beginning we have used an external fan that has worked beautifully.

1 Like
3 Likes

Now that’s something I wouldn’t mind hearing

I’m glad you resolved it! Thank you @geek2nurse for your advice. I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like