Glowforge Specific Fusion 360 Training

Don’t forget GIMP for open source bitmap editing. I use that for getting the rare bitmap processed before lasering.

And do you know @garin_gardiner? He was very active earlier in the forum and still lists Autodesk on his user card.

6 Likes

Are you sure? I thought all the tutorials were in Glowforge Tips and Tricks.

1 Like

Curious… Did you expect any "No"s?!

I would VERY much LOVE to attend such a webinar!

4 Likes

i know nothing about designing in 3D. plenty of 2D (creative suite now and way back in a past life in early corel). so i’d love to get some fusion360 training.

1 Like

Opps let me edit that and make this look weird! :wink:

I would definitely make use of this sort of training. I have successfully used Fusion 360 to design and 3D print a number of parts over the last few months. Preparing for the Glowforge would be greatly enhanced by some specific tutorials. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks for the shout-out @marmak3261. I’m still around and looking forward to getting my Glowforge, just heads down working, biking and making stuff. I am more of a lurker on the form these days but happy to help where I can. One page to keep an eye on is our events page that has lots of free options for training.

I will make a plug on a project I am working on that will be at Autodesk University this year that might be of interests to a few of you. I am working out the details to have a full day session where we will design, manufacture and assemble a portable speaker.

We will design the PCB board in Eagle and solder all the components then design an enclosure in Fusion 360. The final thing we will do it create toolpaths from a few parts to be sent to our mini factory floor to be milled out. We will be machining the volume knob and laser cutting the grill as well. Its not a free session and I should have have more details soon. Here is an image of the design we are working on so far.

16 Likes

I’m installing F360 on the new Mac in my Studio. (I started before I saw this post.) I use it all the time, and have done some neat things with it, but I learn a new trick every time I use it. I have been able to get it to do everything I’s asked of it, except one thing, and for that I came up with a workaround!

2 Likes

I’d love to see a feature comparison between Onshape and Fusion360 for Glowforge usage. I love Onshape’s sheet metal functionality for instance, which is extremely useful for flat pattern design.

2 Likes

Sheet metal is in beta now so maybe not too long until wide release.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

A very kind offer! Totally new to Fusion 360. Just downloaded it last week! Looking for any and all tutorials. Thank you!!

1 Like

Please don’t skip any steps while in your training because it is “obvious” or you expect people to “figure it out”. I’ve watched MANY F360 tutorials, and they all appear to be missing one or more steps that I just can’t figure out. I’ve picked up and put down F360 so many times because the youtube, autodesk, and other tutorials seem to be missing information. The most complete tutorials I’ve followed so far were created by @markevans36301 in the Tips and Tricks section. I’ve successfully made a box, but I’ve failed when I try and go farther than that.

9 Likes

Laser focused Fusion 360 would be awesome. I haven’t carved out the time to learn the tool and I think specific tutorials would be a TON of help

1 Like

Sign me up. this would be fantastic.

For me, the most beneficial aspect would be a tutorial on how to generate a 2D cut file that is suitable for the GF from a 3D design in Fusion 360.

I have a workflow that works, but it’s a long process.

I’m hoping that there’s an easier way to pick the faces of a 3D design I want to cut, arrange them on a sheet of material, and export an SVG or DXF with those faces.

4 Likes

That would be great Jason :sunglasses:

I love Fusion 360 and I look forward to learning new things!

I had done one on this but looking back on it, it was done in the dark before getting my PRU. It is now added to my personal to do list to completely rewrite that with the knowledge of having a PRU in the house for the last few months.

99% of what I do on the :glowforge: starts in F360. I am far from the best at F360 around here, we have two actual experts and several more amateurs that are better than myself but a lot of the time it comes down to willingness.
The person that learned the very most from my tutorials is ME.
The workflow one needs to be rewritten including all known routes to the GFUI. There are several and they all work to one degree or another.

5 Likes

I also have a workflow that works that I could document. There are a couple videos out there that explain it as well (from which I developed my workflow).

But I’d love to get the perspective of a F360 expert on the best way to do this.

My way involves copying and moving a bunch of objects so that the faces I want are all on the same plane, and then projecting those faces onto a sketch and exporting the sketch. It works fine, but it’s time consuming to do.

I would love a way of easily specifying that I want these 7 faces from these 3 different objects to be projected onto a common sketch plane (even if they are not facing the same directions). And then export that plane to an SVG. I’m not sure if that exists or not.

Even better, I don’t want the projections to overlap.
Even better, I want them to fit in a rectangle that is X by Y in size (as much as possible).
Even better, if all the shapes are too big to fit in one rectangle, give me several rectangles that are each X by Y (and export each one as a separate SVG).

3 Likes