Glowforge stain by number

Here is some of my own artwork. I originally designed this to be made in pieces using veneer or HPL, etc.
I decided to cut it out of a cheap piece of 1/4" plywood Ito see what it would look like. You can see the football patch.
The settings I used did not cut completely through the plywood and at first I was disappointed. Then I had the idea to just stain the wood to simulate paint by number.
It’s not perfect, but it came out pretty good. This picture is intended to be seen at a distance, so keep that in mind when looking at the image.
The concept does offer some interesting ideas for this technique.

79 Likes

I like the effect! :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

Very cool … and a creative save, too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@buschtrent Great Work! great way to salvage the project. This has a lot of potential for other projects. Thanks for sharing! :+1:

4 Likes

That is really cool! Although not your intended result, I think it turned out great.

3 Likes

What an interesting piece!

1 Like

Bravo. Awesome effect.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting effect. I could see that looking good for some rustic scenery.

3 Likes

I like it a lot. I wonder if you could design it with this finished look in mind, shading different “paint by numbers” areas in different ways? That would be cool.

1 Like

Cool idea. I can totally see some cool applications of this technique.

1 Like

Well, I think it is pretty darn slick.

Now, ignore the fact that my artistic ability is slightly higher than my musical ability. :slight_smile:

I think my daughters will love to do something like that some day when we GET the dang thing in the house.

3 Likes

When you said it was meant to be seen far from a distance I started squinting at it and WOWSERS! That looks so cool!!! SO SO COOL!

2 Likes

Ok, that is getting locked away for future use!

2 Likes

I like it. Nice job.

3 Likes

This is fantastic! Curious how it would look with veneer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really love this!

5 Likes