Greetings! I just recently got my Glowforge and so far I’m absolutely loving it! One sticking point that I can’t seem to figure out is whenever I try to engrave one of the “Veggie Garden” stock graphics from the “Add Artwork” button, it only seems to engrave some of the graphic and leaves out the middle parts. I tried to test engrave a tomato on an old iPad of mine and the quality of the engraving came out great, but it missed the middle part of the tomato and now it just looks like a cartoon bomb. I just tried engraving a bell pepper and it did the same thing, only engraving the outside perimeter of the graphic. Is there a reason it’s skipping the inside of the graphic or is this just a bug?
its simple, on the left there are boxes, each have a ‘setting’ make sure you have chosen the settings for all the ‘layers’ (if its a 'cut layer, or a ‘score’ layer ’ etc…)
It sounds like a few of them have not been set up yet!
Welcome to the forum.
The graphics from the add artwork are from the Noun Project, I believe, and have not all been vetted for use in the Glowforge interface. It would be most helpful if you could share the exact graphics that you had difficulty with.
Here are the two graphics that I’ve tried so far. The tomato graphic skipped the leaves around the stem, and the bell pepper skipped the lines the define the middle protrusion of the pepper.
Interesting… I would try running the “gift of good measure” and make sure the laser is working correctly. - that is the de-facto test…
I’ve run that one a couple times and they both worked as expected. The file was separated into the cut, engrave, and score settings. This one is odd because the preview on the sidebar shows the whole image, so that tells me that it should all be using the same setting. I’m wondering if, as dklgood said, they aren’t vetted for Glowforge use, perhaps the vectors for the missed components are somehow set as the inverse of the rest of the graphic (i.e. fill solid, no stroke or vice versa). If that’s the case, I’m curious why these are the first items seen by new users when clicking “Add Artwork”.
try copying the graphic, pasting it into a paint / vector program, save as a .svg or .pdf and try again?
Seth, we don’t work for Glowforge, we are owners like you.
Thanks for posting the ones that didn’t work as you wished. The stock graphics are a real time saver, but I often export the files using them and have a look at them in Inkscape before finalizing a project.
I don’t think I’m able to copy graphics out of the GFUI. I tried to do that with another piece of artwork and it didn’t work. After some searching on the forum, it was noted that this would be in violation of the TOS. Here is the same engrave test using proofgrade settings just in case that was the reason.
You can export files using the stock graphics. You cannot export Glowforge catalog designs.
I ONLY believe in TOS when talking about the Original Star Trek, you are using the stuff for yourself, as a test, you are not reselling the artwork…
Okay, I was able to export it and open it in Illustrator. It looks like there were two discrete paths defined for the tomato. Both paths contained the leaves, so I did a “Unite” on the whole graphic. I think this will work because the print job time estimate increased.
The pepper is four units as well. Although you have wasted time and material, it is good to know this is a graphics problem and that your Glowforge is not flawed.
Yep, that did the trick. Thanks to the both of you for your help! I’d consider this time and material well spent for the learning experience.
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble!
I’m glad you were able to find a workaround, and I’m sorry for the material spent.
I’ll forward these files along to another team of mine to investigate further. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I’m going to close this post for now, please create another post or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if any additional questions arise!