Glowforge stuck on centerinf

Hi, my glowforge is stuck on centering. Usually I take it apart and clean it, close the program and restart glowforge and it works. On top of the fact that its happening more frequently now (every couple projects) this time none of the above has worked. I called glowforge support was on hold for 40 mins only to be sent to a voicemail. I have a small business which now it’s placed on hold due to this. If someone can help I would really appreciate it.

Read through this troubleshooting guide, and don’t discount any of the possible remedies, especially troubleshooting your wifi – even if you have no reason to believe your wifi is a problem, it may have now become one. Something as simple as setting up a new Apple TV or bluetooth device you got for Christmas can cause new interference.

1 Like

Can you clarify please. Is the machine returning to the centering sequence between projects and the machine has not powered off? In other words, when you finish a print does it immediately go try centering?

When this happens is the print head staying at its home spot and not moving to the center? When you power on the machine you hear the fans start up and then the clicking from the print head, correct? After the clicking ends, does the machine just sit there and there is no movement?

That’s exactly what happens. It stays there and does not move. I have to turn it off and push it back. Then turn it back on and the same thing happens again.

Okay, so just a high level recap of what happen in the start up sequence that is related to what might be your issue:

1. Inline fan start up
  2. Machine looks for print head. If its not getting a good connection to the print head then the machines button will turn orange. This step also is where it’s looking for WiFi.
  3. If the machine detects the print head then you will hear the clicking from the movement of the center lens in the print head. If you are getting to this step then your machine has found its print head and so it has used the WiFi function. So WiFi is likely not there issue at this point.
  4. Once it finishes that then it will check for the lid to be closed before it will move to the center. If it is not detecting the lid as being closed then it will sit there waiting…and waiting.

This 4th item looks to be where you are stuck. So the machine is likely not detecting the lid as being closed. You can try making sure the lid is closed well and seated correctly. IMO, I would just skip to getting a new black cable because if its not an issue in the detecting the lid is closed then it would be an issue in relaying that the lid is closed (which is one of the functions of the black lid cable).

The black lid cables did just restock (they usually are hard to get): Black Lid Cable | Glowforge

Hi @MumAndGiasImprints My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge.

Unfortunately it looks like I don’t have a machine connected to this email you are using so I am unable to pull any logs and look at what problem you are running into.

Could you please confirm the serial number of the printer having the issue for me?

The serial number can be found on the back of the Glowforge, printed on a sticker near the AC adapter on the right-hand side. It will look something like ABC-123-4.

Once I have this information, I’ll follow up with the next steps.

Hi, the email connected to the printer is dragonettiluis@gmail.com It’s frustrating I do one or two projects and them my glowforge gets stuck on centering or homing.

Serial number: KWH-394-4

They will find the associated email connected to the serial number you provided. It would be wise to remove your email address from this public forum.

Hi @MumAndGiasImprints

I was able to pull up your machine and it looks like you might be having some internet problems that are causing your machine to get stuck at centering and homing.

Your Glowforge was able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may find yourself stuck on centering and homing, or sometimes even canceling.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using

2. Turn off your Glowforge

3. Unplug your modem

4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point

5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
    • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
    • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
    • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
    • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
    • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge

2. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please email our team at support@glowforge.com.