Glowforge stuck on centering in calibration

My brand new Glowforge is constantly stuck on centering. I have double checked my network, the cables inside the machine ( all connected), even attempted a Camera re-calibration. still had no luck all I keep getting is Laser head is centering. Not sure what my next steps are. Can someone please help.

Have you gone through all of these steps?

Yes I have. I have found all the documents on trying to resolve this issue and even some YouTube videos as well. I have tried them all.

Okay. How did you check your network?

As any normal network engineer would. Why what do you recommend?

Because I didn’t want to spend a bunch of time typing out stuff you’ve already done, because for some reason that annoys people even when you’re just trying to help them instead of just relaxing and enjoying your Saturday evening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Completely understand. It just seems that there are a few of us that are having this same issue all on the same day. Seems a little too coincidental.

It’s pretty much the most common error, because there are so many things that can cause it. Not coincidental, just statistically most probable.

Most commonly it’s a wifi issue. The Glowforge is super picky about its wifi signal. If you’re ruled out all the other stuff, then it’s pretty much down to that or the black cable.

3 Likes

The GF MUST operate on the 2.4 Ghz channel of your WiFi and if there other devices on it the signal may not be strong enough for it to stay connected.

1 Like

I it was just statistical, problems would appears randomly on the forum. But we all see that problems “stuck in centering” comes by waves at the same moments. So no, statistically most probable, it is not.

Most probable for me is some overuse on glowforge’s servers during some periods. Everybody can’t connect at the same time.

Glowforge uses Google Cloud services, and capacity is scaled based on demand.

It’s not a server issue.

2 Likes

Im having the same issue!! IT was working fine last night, and bam, now these issues.

See the link I posted above for troubleshooting steps. If the problem persists, you’ll need to open your own thread in P&S, since posting here opens a support ticket and there can only be one customer per ticket.

I’ve done those, I appreciate it. I tried all of your steps before creating my own thread. Hate to say this, but I’m glad to see that others are having this issue today, maybe its something that can be fixed easily.

It’s pretty unlikely to be a server side issue. You should do the wifi troubleshooting next, rather than just waiting.

Things the rest of us have learned: Microwaves, Apple TV, and baby monitors are just a few of the things that can affect your wifi signal. Also the ones at your neighbor’s house. Mine gets wonky if more than two people are actively using it, so I have to move a router closer to my GF when the kids visit. Sometimes changing the channel can help. Setting up the Guest network as a dedicated, pw-protected 2.4GHz network for only your Glowforge can be very helpful, as can a wifi extender in the same room.

2 Likes

I strongly suggest setting up a dedicated guest network (2.4 ghz) and placing your glowforge, and only your glowforge, on the guest network. Solved 99% of my issues which were wifi related. Had/have high speed internet, mesh wifi system but I was still having issues that were related to having too many devices on my network which were interfering with my glowforge.

2 Likes

Google had a major cloud service issue on the 10th and I’m guessing that was the start of more than usual issues. They are showing services are fully restored today, but who knows if there are residual issues.

2 Likes

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.