Glowforge table

Where and what will your glowforge sit on , can’t wait for it

3 Likes

There are several threads on this already. Here are some:

12 Likes

I was originally going to build a table out of butcher block and piping, then this behemoth went on sale. I would have paid the same price for the butcher block that I did for this work bench. Its fantastic, but weighs a ton.

8 Likes

Here is my plan for a table.

It supports a GlowForge and includes @Dan in case I need advice and help. :-)))

I hope the GlowForge has gyros in it to keep it level on a round surface. An idea for the Hopper? :-)))

It must be the end of the week and Friday.

14 Likes

A Kneeling Atlas / claw-foot would be awesome if you worked it out right!

11 Likes

Guess I haven’t put much thought into it. The pic below is not mine but I have a pile of blocks and plenty of boards/plywood in the shed. So it might take 10 minutes to get ready for the Glowforge.

15 Likes

If there are blocks with 12" wide cavities available you would have your materials storage situation solved too!

4 Likes

Reminds me of my first apartment… reconfigurable too!

3 Likes

Welcome @jdt92065 to the forum. So many cool topics to learn about and read. Hope to hear more from you about what you plan to do with your Glowforge.

1 Like

I have several (7) of those and they are indeed pretty darn good, once you get them assembled. My Trotec laser is sitting on one and the adjustable height came in quite handy as it’s put together at it’s lowest height (27.5").

I believe their marketing department can handle the majority of spelling out the positives of their product so I’ll list a few of the negatives…

The feet don’t always screw in parallel with the legs because the threaded portion of the leg has been welded on crooked. The pads of the feet tilt to account for some misalignment, but they could still do a better job with the welding, IMO. I also have three of their lower-end line of benches (imported) and the legs are welded much more consistently.

The nyloc nuts on the legs are excessively difficult to screw on the first time. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the nuts are designed to be screwed on by hand (meaning that it’s not convenient to drive them on with an electric drill). What I did was hold each nut/knob in a pair of pliers (channel-locks) and ran a bolt in and out of each one before assembling the benches.

A quick positive note as well…
The first one I received came without any of the hardware, the box must have opened up enough for the bag of bolts to fall out. I called them and they sent me replacement hardware. Later, I called them again about one of the particularly bad legs and they shipped me out a new one of those as well. They were very nice during both calls and they didn’t even attempt to charge me anything like that. These particular benches are made in the USA (Whirlpool owns them last I heard) and I suspect their customer service is located here as well.

7 Likes

The only issues we had was with the nuts for the legs. Like you said, putting the nuts in by hand was a pain. It was a lot easier the second time, when we adjusted the legs.

1 Like

The resistance on the nylon nut may be by design, a self locking feature to prevent vibration from altering the set level. :thinking: