Glowforge UI now supports saving presets of materials!

OK, so this isn’t actually adding your own material.
It is adding your own settings for any cut/score etc

As far as I can tell you can define your own power settings and they are always available regardless of the material you select.

I’ve just defined two new power and speed settings against draftboard, now switching to leather the same two settings are still there.

That’s OK for me, because I tend to use locally sourced laser MDF, so I nearly always want the same two settings, but if you want a bunch of different settings against different materials that doesn’t seem to be what it is doing.

It is not defining a new material, it is defining new cut settings.

Incidentally, if you save them under “Cut” say, they won’t show up under Score for example.

You mean I can finally remove my sticky notes on my monitor for some of the custom settings that I have been using?!? ;p It works and it works well. I added my custom acrylic settings for each mode (engrave, cut, score) and saved it from the manual entry area to the Custom section. Tried opening a different file to check, and yep, the options are still there!

The tutorial is… not finished? There is a whole page about what settings does what (awesome), and at the bottom there is a section about saving custom settings, but they are just animated gifs instead of written instructions, and not zoomed in enough for me to see them clearly.

Steps:

1. Open a file in the GFUI.
  2. Select a layer to get the flyout.
  3. Click on the mode of laser usage – Engrave | Cut | Score
  4. Click on “Manual”.
  5. Enter your desired settings.
  6. Click on the large “+” button (Save As) at the top-right of the flyout.
  7. Enter the name that you want. This saves it to the "custom section for that mode.
  8. If you want to change the name, open that setting by clicking on it from the custom menu, and click “Save as”, change the name, and delete the disused name.

I’m using the Edge browser, your results may vary?

;p

7 Likes

If you enter manual settings, you can name them for the material used.

3 Likes

My speed only goes to 500 now with this new layout/settings. Is this going to change all of my non proofgrade settings that I’ve worked to figure out this whole time?!

Speed only goes to 500 for cuts, 1000 for engraves. It’s been that way for at least a year.

4 Likes

Interesting! Mine has always shown 1000, no matter if it’s a cut or engrave file.

I noticed it this morning and posted about it . I did some work late last night and it was not there then.

I will delete that post but note here as well that starting a cut and canceling it caused the GFUI to crash and need to restart to proceed.

It appears that I cannot delete it but if anyone who can wishes to please do.

This is something I’ve been asking for since receiving my GF.

I am a HAPPY CAMPER!

6 Likes

How did you adjust the default PG settings ?!?

1 Like

HOLY COW this is awesome. I’m going to have to play around with this and see how it is going to change my workflow.

7 Likes

The changes take a little getting used to, but the custom settings are already proving to be brilliant. Woot for productivity!

3 Likes

This is an incredibly important update. Thank you!

4 Likes

Ahhh this is amazing! Well done @dan and team! I’ve definitely had my gripes with delays but I can honestly say I’m so happy with the final product. I know it’s not perfect but the fact you keep plugging away at it and try to make sure the end result is worth it, means a lot. Keep chipping away, it’s appreciated.

7 Likes

On Firefox, the arrow does not respond in any way for me. But on Chrome, it opens up the current settings and allows me to modify them (for Proofgrade and custom)

3 Likes

Crud. I use Firefox…though it’s the first issue I’ve run into using Firefox. Don’t like chrome. :frowning:

there are more than a few people here who only use chrome for GFUI, but nothing else.

3 Likes

Ayup.
Got chrome on this machine for ONE THING.
GFUI. That and the status page.

2 Likes

What the what?! I spend ONE day away from the forum and the entire world changes?!

Thanks, Glowforge for finally making this a reality. And GREAT job with the associated documentation. That’s really excellent.

Wai wai wai… How do I see the :proofgrade: settings now? What’s this trick? All I see is 1000/1 when I switch to Manual now.

7 Likes