Glowforge UI seems to hinder precise work

Coming from a hobby CNC world, I’m finding the “cute-ification” of the Glowforge UI frustrating, but maybe it is my ignorance.

I imported a file from Fusion360 to cut an acrylic piece, and accidentally moved one of resize dots in the Glowforge app. Now I can’t find any way to restore the original size. The edge rulers are nice, but are not useful for precise parts. Even if I go back to the dashboard and re-import my part, it’s still remains at the new random accidental size I created when I bumped the resize dot. Do I really have to delete the file and repost it from Fusion to get the correct size back? Also the rotation icon never tells you degrees and doesn’t snap to 90, so when you start rotating a part, all you can do is “eyeball” your position. That’s fine for cat pictures, but when you want to make real parts that fit with other parts, it seems nuts. This can’t be right, can it?

Hold down shift to rotate in 45 degree steps, i agree it would be nice to see the degree for movements in between. If you do anything to a file just use the undo / redo buttons at the top of the dashboard to the left of the teal + symbol as long as you have not backed out of the page as it saves the state the file is in when you do that. If it has been closed out when changed you need to re upload the design if it is one you created. if it is a purchased design you can revert the design to original by clicking the 3 vertical dots on the top of the ui and selecting design details and then selecting reset design on the window to the right.

Here is a link to the keyboard shortcuts, might be helpful.

4 Likes

In addition to the Shortcut Keys, the placement/measurement tool should insure that your artwork is the size you require.

3 Likes

Ctrl-Z for undo works well in the GFUI.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble while using the Glowforge App. It looks like you’ve already received some great advice and information from our other community members. Thanks folks!

Did the information they provided help you to more precisely rotate your designs and restore the original size?

Also, the positioning tool which was referenced can be accessed by selecting your artwork, and then clicking on the small ruler icon near the bottom left corner of the work area.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.