Glowforge updates: the road to production

When I worked on a farm as a teenager, I once had to punch a bull. Not because he was stubborn (though he was), but because he was mulling over a plan that involved goring me and trampling me into the mud, and I was keen on a different plan where that didn’t happen.
I’ll tell you, it’s a very humbling experience to punch something in the face as hard as you can and have it just snort, turn around, and mosey away from you.

16 Likes

In college I parked my car in a gate once to stop a horny bull from getting out and bothering the neighbors cows. In Bull vs Geo Metro. Bull pushes Geo sideways until he can fit through. Bull wins.

10 Likes

Well that’s sorta how I got in this situation. We had two herds, each with their own bull (who oddly enough were buddies). One bull decided to break his fence to go chat up the cows is the other herd, and all of his ladyfriends decided to go for a day out through the hole. So I used truck with feed to lure them all back into their field (bull included), but had to go through a gate because the hole in the fence was too small for the truck. They all followed me through the gate and, in a moment of inspiration, I decided to park the truck in front of the hole to keep them from going back through it and walk back to close the gate while they were distracted.
They all were chowing down happily until the bull noticed I was moments from bringing datenight to an end, so he came running down at met me at the gate. I almost got it closed and then he started pushing it from the other side and trying to squeeze through the opening that was left. I realized I wasn’t going to beat him in brute strength so I shouted and clapped and waved him back away, but instead of retreating like usual and going to rejoin his girls, he only backed off a couple of steps then decided to start pawing the ground and shaking his big ol’ fridge of a head and then started back towards me.
So I hit him. I cocked back and gave it everything I had and it was like punching a fuzzy cinderblock wall. But he backed off first, so I’m calling it a win. The owner’s wife (who was very much a big city mouse) saw it happen and actually got mad at me, not realizing how close it was to having gone the other way. She ran and got her husband and starts telling him about how I’d struck the poor defenseless bull and I can see he’s barely holding in laughter and he says "Now honey, I’m sure that Russell understands what he did wrong."
I just grinned and said "Yes sir. Next time I hit that big sumbitch, I’m doing it with the truck so the bastard at least feels it."
I don’t know if his wife was more angry at me for saying it or her own husband for doubling over with laughter.

18 Likes

I think in poodle vs Geo Metro, the poodle would win. :grin:
(My friends Geo Metro hit a motorcyclist - car was totaled - bike was ok but rider messed up leg).

4 Likes

@likeablejerk you could hit that beast with a lead pipe and still walk away with the worse injuries than the bull. Don’t let city mouse outside. She’ll try to corral him with cuddles and wishes and we’ll never see her again.

@PlGHEADED I agree! That thing was a good poor college kid car. Good on gas. Power? Not so much. You had to turn off the a/c to make it up the steep Tennessee hills. (We called the turbo button). It served its purpose. I dumped it the day I graduated.

Back to watching makerfaire footage and pricing laser goggles for me. I relinquish this thread to its original topic!

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/o0xQJT6r534?t=1m2s

2 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

The mix of impatience and crazy excited anticipation makes me feel a bit like Sybil.

8 Likes

that is why they put nose rings on bulls. when you tug that they feel it.

3 Likes

My birthday is on dec 2nd, I am in the first round of orders / deliveries…
Can you please deliver it earlier than anyone else, …on my my birthday and also it would be perfect if it was delivered by drone. Thanks @dan I know you can do it! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Can you tell me where on the que for delivery I am? I know I ordered my glowforge before the cut off date. Thanks
L. Lauer

1 Like

@stamford813 What was your actual purchase date? If you ordered before October 25, 2015 you should get an email asking for your address for delivery sometime in the next 1.5 months.

If you bought your Glowforge anytime AFTER that date you will be waiting till around March 2017

5 Likes

I don’t believe that’s entirely accurate.

What’s been stated is that those who pre-ordered in the 10-15 pre-order period will have their unit shipped by 31-12-16. And those who ordered after will have their units shipped by 31-03-17. However the question has been asked if units will be shipped in batches or continuously from 31-12-16 and the reply was something like “We haven’t quite finalized how the shipping timing will work.” So that means that everybody who has ordered could have theirs shipped by 31-12-16. Likely not. But if they ship continuously my unit could be shipped any time between 31-12-16 and 31-03-17. I don’t believe there has been any further clarification on shipping timing.

Potentially, I could have it on my birthday on 29-01-17. Nudge nudge. Wink wink. Hint hint.

7 Likes

Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more.

6 Likes

I finally found my emaIL RECEIPT! purchased on 10-14-15! So I should receive it by the end of the year, correct?

4 Likes

Possibly. It will be shipped by the end of the year.

Glowforge has, presumably, made many advances, but teleportation hasn’t been announced. I hear it’s in that ever-growing god-forsaken hopper though. :wink:

12 Likes

Physically I have made zero modifications or upgrades to my space. No electrical mods, vent, table, storage, etc. I ordered the very first day so will receive the GF in the first batch, whenever that is. All space upgrades will take me less than a day. A dedicated table an extra day. Have done it many times before so everything will be completed in the time it takes the unit to get across the country. So I will wait and not stress about when. Easier on the blood pressure.

19 Likes

From your date format, can I properly assume you are not in the U.S.? It took me a second to convert it in my head (first thought was “we don’t have 31 months! Not even 13 in case he switched it around”)

While technically you are 100% correct, the last time this was asked/brought up @dan was a little vauge just as you mentioned. So while there is a possibility of continual shipping and EVERYONE has the possibility of receiving their GF by the end of December, the “official” current commitment is that the Pre-orders will be shipped before the end of December and everyone else will be shipped before the end of March.

There is no commitment to a continual shipping schedule, I just don’t want to set expectations too high and have people be disappointed if their unit doesn’t ship until Actual March timeframe.

as an aside, your birthday is the day before mine. I truly hope we both have our GF before then.

4 Likes

Shipped by year end. . . possibly I guess. But given that we can call it mid November now and I don’t recall anyone seeing or hearing about or touching or beta testing a real live Pro model, I have to wonder if the best case scenario is Glowforge Basics start shipping by December end. But hey, I’m typically known as a glass half empty guy.

7 Likes