Glowforge updates: the road to production

I’ve finally trained my favorite restaurant. They used to pour the wine (our favorite, 14 Hands Cabernet) in carafes and then pour that into the glasses at the table. After pointing out, numerous times, about the wasted wine that remained in the carafes, they final agreed to pour the wine directly into the glasses.

10 Likes

Here you go: a wineglass that fits on a wine bottle…

7 Likes

Looks almost as unnerving to use a drinking beer from a yard glass.

3 Likes

This is actually something you can do at home if you’re interested (and don’t mind a little broken glass to clean up) The phenomenon is known as cavitation and you can reproduce the situation described in the comic, or you can watch these guys do it in front of a slowmo camera:

(@jacobturner, @tim1724 this might interest you guys as well)

11 Likes

I stand corrected, and impressed! That’s pretty cool!

I love it! Highlight of my dynamics class. It wreaks havoc on pumps if you design the system wrong. The best application of it I’ve ever seen is brought to you by mother nature:

5 Likes

I used to have a reef tank and had a pistol shrimp in it. You could hear that snapping claw all the time. Sooooo annoying! Little did I know it was hotter than the sun when it did it!

2 Likes

Have you heard of supercavitation?

4 Likes

Vaguely referenced for some propeller designs but I got so caught up in the mantis and pistol shrimp stuff I didn’t pay a ton of attention. That’s awesome

A healthy reef emits a loud “snap, crackle, pop” crunching sound as the arthropods feed and carry on. I grew to understand you could judge the health of the reef by the intensity of that noise.
The loudest of them is the mantis and pistol shrimp, and they are the bane of saltwater aquariums. You put some new “live rock”, what divers know as rubble into your tank and start hearing an unexplained snapping noise - and you know you’re in trouble.
Divers also know them as “thumb splitters” and they aren’t picky about what they eat.

7 Likes

The phenomenon discussed here is basically the same as in sonoluminescence. Many claim the temperatures achievable can initiate fusion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8UZ1-AqNcg

3 Likes

The Russians have or at least have played with supercaviting torpedoes. It was an accident with one of them that took out the Kursk.
As a brother of the deep, that was a bit of a PTSD day for me.

5 Likes

And of course the Mantis shrimp…

10 Likes

I think the German name, fangschreckenkrebse, is a more appropriate moniker. My German is no longer what it used to be but I’m going to translate this as “the crayfish that scares it’s prey to death”.

9 Likes

I think you’re spot on – schrecken ~ scare, fangschreken ~ frighten, so Frightening Crab seems right…

4 Likes

fangen – to catch. So yeah, it makes perfect sense. (And then it turns out it was just first discovered by Herr Doktor Professor Fangschreck.)

6 Likes

A perfect example of nominative determinism. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I’m not very used to fora and English is not my first language, but I was trying to find out when GlowForge expects to ship. I’ve read a lot of posts bottom up and I’m not sure what this forum is about? I read things about wine, torpedo’s and glasses. Someone any idea when they ship or am I in the wrong forum?

2 Likes

If you ordered your glowforge during the crowdfunding campaign (Before October 25, 2015) then you should get a shipping notice by the end of this year (December 31, 2016).

If you ordered after October 25, 2015, you should see your machine before the end of March 2017.

5 Likes

Welcome! I’m sorry for your confusion. In this forum, you should read threads from the top-down, not from the bottom up. The first post in this thread says:

6 Likes